Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

James C. King papers

 Collection
Identifier: MS0748-UA

Collection Scope and Content

Materials in this collection include books, videotapes, research notes, and correspondence. They range in date from 1837-1961 and were donated to the University Archives in two accessions by James C. King in 1999 and 2002.

Dates

  • 1837-1968

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Restrictions on Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical Note

James C. King earned his B.A. (1949), M.A. (1950), and Ph.D. (1954) from The George Washington University and is Professor Emeritus of German. As a student he was prepared in linguistics by Professor Edward H. Sehrt, who taught at GW from 1925-1953, serving as Professor of German and Chairman of the Germanic Languages and Literature Department.

After teaching French, German, and Latin at the St. Albans School for Boys in Washington, Professor King joined the faculty of GW in 1955. He became Professor Emeritus in 1991. In 1960-1961 he collaborated with Siegfried H. Muller of Adelphi University in establishing and directing the Languages-of-the-World Archives under a contract with the U.S. Office of Education. In 1962 Professor King was appointed deputy member of the Committee on International Exchange of Persons.

He also represented the American Council of Learned Societies in selecting American scholars for lectureships and research opportunities abroad under the Fulbright-Hays Program. In the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Professor King directed research on Old High German language and literature, and the linguistic analysis of modern German.

Professor King belonged to the American Goethe Society, Linguistic Society of America, and the Mediaeval Academy of America. He served as the first president of the D.C. Chapter of the American Association of Teachers of German (1959-61). From 1964-66 he was president of GW's Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa.

After retirement, Professor King donated the official two millionth volume to the Gelman Library in 2001. The volume, An Illustrated Atlas; Geographical, Statistical, and Historical, of the United States, and the Adjacent Countries by T.G. Bradford dates from 1838 and shows the individual states, territories, and major cities of the United States, with maps of Canada and the West Indies.

Extent

3.5 Linear Feet

Language

English

Abstract

Collection includes books, videotapes, research notes, and correspondence of Dr. James King, professor of German. They range in date from 1837-1961.

Collection Organization

Organized in three series: Books, St. Gall videotapes, Edward Sehrt materials.

Acquisition Information

Acquired through donations of James King, in 1999 and 2002.

Collection note

Books not written by James King have been separated from the collection and cataloged (Special Collections stacks).
Title
Guide to the James C. King papers, 1837-1968
Status
Completed
Author
University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2006
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America