Burleith Garden Club records
Collection Scope and Content
This collection contains bylaws, annual reports, membership lists, lists of officers, flyers, correspondence, one stapled booklet "My Favorite Recipes", and the neighborhood tot lot and flower mart. The materials span the dates 1949-2000.
- Burleith Garden Club (Washington, D.C.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
The Burleith Garden Club began on October 18, 1949 with fourteen members attending the first meeting. In 1950, the club decided to join the Burleith Citizens Association, but became independent again in 1954. The Burleith Garden Club is one of the charter members of the National Capital Garden Club League.
The Burleith Garden Club activities included speakers at the monthly meetings, and landscaping work in the community. For example, at one point, the club collected funds from homeowners to protect the Burleith community from Japanese beetles. The areas covered by the Japanese beetle program included private homes, parks, and school property. In addition, members participated in the flower show held at the National Guard Armory serving as judges, hostesses, and entrants. The club held garden tours in the spring and provided flowers and plants to shut-ins and the elderly during Christmas and Easter. At the April 2000 meeting, in response to declining membership, the club endorsed a proposal to become a standing committee of the Burleith Citizens Association.
1.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection contains bylaws, annual reports, membership lists, lists of officers, flyers, correspondence, one stapled booklet "My Favorite Recipes", and the neighborhood tot lot and flower mart generated by the Burleith Garden Club between 1949 and 2000.
Organized into three series: General files, Graphics, and Minutes.
On September 25, 2002, Ms. Sara Revis donated archival papers from the Burleith Garden to The George Washington University Gelman Library.
- Burleith (Washington, D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Burleith Citizens Association (Washington, D.C.)
- Burleith Garden Club (Washington, D.C.)
- Flower shows Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landscape gardening Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Burleith Garden Club records, 1949-2000
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English