Washington, DC Statehood Constitutional Convention records
Collection Scope and Content
This collection is a transcript of the District of Columbia Statehood Constitution Convention. They transcript covers the date range from February 9, 1982 to May 29, 1982.
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
On November 4, 1980, sixty percent of the District of Columbia (DC) residents voted and approved the District of Columbia Statehood Constitutional Convention of of 1979, which became DC Law 3-171. This law called for the creation of a state constitutional convention, which was an initiative towards statehood. During 1981, a DC Statehood Commission was established. On November 4, 1981, forty-five delegates were elected to a Constitutional Convention to serve two or three year terms.
The elected delegates for the District of Columbia Constitutional Convention convened to write a constitution for the future state of New Columbia on January 31, 1982. On May 27, 1982 New Columbia is officially chosen as the name for the new state and the new constitution is adopted on May 29, 1982 ending the convention. On November 2, 1982, DC voters ratified the constitution for the State of New Columbia.
In 1983, a bill was introduced in Congress for the admission of the State of New Columbia into the United States, but it did not pass. This means that Congress continues its exclusive legislative power over the District.
13.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection consists of a transcript of the District of Columbia Statehood Constitution Convention ranging in date from February 9, 1982 to May 29, 1982.
Acquisition information is unknown.
A more detailed paper index available in reading room, please see staff member for assistance.
- New Columbia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Statehood (American politics) -- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.). Statehood Constitutional Convention (1982) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Washington, DC Statehood Constitutional Convention records, 1982
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America