Metropolitan Dance Association records
Collection Scope and Content
This collection contains newsletters. These newsletters date from 1978-86. The newsletter of the Metropolitan Dance Association provided information for dance professionals and enthusiasts. A typical newsletter included a listing of regional dance performances, auditions, and employment opportunities, dance scholarships, and legislative issues effecting the performing arts. A regular feature in the newsletter was "Focus on . . . ," highlighting the history and activities of local dance troupes. Among the dance companies featured in the newsletter are The Dance Exchange, Glen Echo Dance Theater, and St. Mark's Dance Company.
This collection is part of the Dance Archives of the Greater Washington Region. The Dance Archives was established in 1983 by Nancy Diers Johnson, Ed.D, Associate Professor of Dance at The George Washington University.
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
The Metropolitan Dance Association (MDA) began in 1953 as the Modern Dance Council of Washington, D.C. The organization name change adopted in September 1979 reflected a shift to document local and regional dance heritage. Annual meetings of the Association featured performances and presentations by and about the regional dance community.
Among the activities undertaken by the Association was the Choreographers Showcase begun in 1958 to provide artistic opportunities to less experienced choreographers. The showcase was renamed Dance Showcase in 1978. The Association also sponsored a loan fund to provide financial assistance to dancers, choreographers, teachers and others in support of project relating to the advancement of contemporary dance in the Washington metropolitan area. Responding to the needs of its members, the Association contracted the services of a health and insurance organization to provide much needed insurance to those who might not have otherwise been able to afford it. The Associations' commitments to dancers, dance performance and dance heritage was recognized in its receipt of several grants.
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection contains newsletters dated from 1978-86. The newsletter of the Metropolitan Dance Association provided information for dance professionals and enthusiasts.
Acquisition information is unknown.
- Auditions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Metropolitan Dance Association
- Metropolitan Dance Council of Washington, DC
- Modern dance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Performances Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scholarships Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student loan funds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Metropolitan Dance Association records, 1978-1986
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English