IBT Training and Development Department records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains meeting minutes, subject files, programs, brochures, photographs, and reports of the Training and Development Division of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, previously known as the Education Department. The material dates from 1986-2009. These are the records of the Training and Development Division after the restructuring of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, as well as photographs and event materials dated previous to that restructuring.
The Training and Development Division is primarily responsible for education local unions and their leaders on such matters as: union administration, collective bargaining, membership mobilization, effective communications, and leadership.
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Chauffeurs, Warehousemen, and Helpers of America (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The IBT Training & Development Department was formed in 2005 as part of an organization-wide restructuring. Its predecessor was the Education Department established in 1982. From 1978 to 1982 training was undertaken by the Research and Education Department. The Training & Development Department designs programs and materials to train IBT officers, staff, stewards and members in a variety of areas of labor relations. The department sponsors the Teamster Leadership Academy which provides training in collective bargaining, organizing, political action and union administration.
3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collections contains the records of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Training & Development department dating from 1986-2009.
Organized into 3 series: Departmental Records, Teamsters Leadership Academy, and Stewards Training Publications and Seminar Materials. Files are organized in the order in which they were recieved.
Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, 2012 [2012.007]
- Labor Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Training & Development Department records, 1986-2009
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English