William Reinhart papers
Collection Scope and Content
This collection consists of photographs and news clippings of George Washington coach William Reinhart, certificates, correspondence, and a scrapbook of testimonial banquet on March 29, 1955. The material ranges in date from 1920-93.
- Reinhart, William Jennings Bryan (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
William Jennings Bryan Reinhart (1897-1971) was a basketball, football and baseball coach at GW from 1935-1942 and 1949-66. In between he served in the Navy and was the director of athletics and personal training at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Born in Osborne, Missouri August 2, 1897, he went on to attain a B.A. in business administration from the University of Oregon in 1922. He was a three-sport athlete there, quarterbacking the football team in the 1920 Rose Bowl, which Harvard won 7-6.
After graduation, he continued at the U of O (1923-1935) as a staff member, concurrently as the basketball and baseball coach and an instructor of physical education. Reinhart came to GW in 1935, and coached Alphonse "Tuffy" Leemans, who went on to a Hall of Fame football career with the New York Giants, and Red Auerbach, legendary coach of the Boston Celtics, and member of the Basketball Hall of Fame. Auerbach said of Rhinehart in 1966: "He was twenty years ahead of his time and did well with the toughest schedule in the country in those days (the late 1930s). He taught me the type of basketball I coach." Reinhart's overall baseball record was 193-133; his football record was 16-17-1; and his basketball record was 316-239. Awards include the Helms Basketball Hall of Fame (1956) and the GW Hall of Fame Award (1993).
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection consists of photographs of and news clippings about George Washington coach William Reinhart ranging in date from 1920-1993. In addition, contains certificates, correspondence, and a scrapbook of testimonial banquet on March 29, 1955.
Acquisition information is unknown.
- Basketball Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Football Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the William Reinhart papers, 1920-1993
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English