Frank Smith, Jr. papers
Collection Scope and Content
This collection contains the office records of Frank Smith Jr. during his time as a member of the District of Columbia City Council. These files cover the subjects such as housing, crime, education, lottery, correspondence from constituents, and the Civil War Memorial. These records date from 1987-98. Please note: these records are not fully processed and may take more time to use for research.
- Smith, Frank Jr. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Frank Smith Jr. (1942- ) served as a member of the District of Columbia City Council from 1982-1998. During his time on the Council, Smith supported legislation creating subsidies for housing down payments, a lottery system for disposing of condemned and surplus housing, and establishing tax incentives for new business development. In 1998, Smith became chairman for the board and chief executive officer for the organization which worked to establish the African American Civil War Memorial and accompanying museum.
While studying at Morehouse College in Atlanta, Smith was a founding member of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). From 1962-68 he worked with SNCC organizing and registering African-American voters in Mississippi and Alabama. In 1968, he moved to Washington to work as a researcher for the Institute for Policy Studies focusing on education and planning issues.
Frank Smith Jr. was born on September 17, 1942 in Newnan Georgia. He earned a Ph.D from the Union Institute in Ohio in 1980.
41.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
These are the office records for Frank Smith Jr. durng his time as a member of the District of Columbia City Council. The records date from 1987-98.
This collection is not fully processed and series have not been determined.
Gift of Frank Smith Jr., 1998
- African American Civil War Memorial Freedom Foundation & Museum
- African Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- City council members -- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- District of Columbia. City Council
- Politicians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smith, Frank Jr.
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Preliminary Guide to the Frank Smith, Jr. papers, 1992-1998
- Folder Inventory
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English