John A. Wilson papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of correspondence, constituent records, publications, statements, photographs, negatives, slides, newspaper clippings, and audio cassettes. The material dates from 1974-93. These files are from Wilson's office during his time as a member of the District of Columbia Council. These files cover a wide range of topics of interest to Mr. Wilson during his time in office. The subjects include among others urban renewal, healthcare, campaign data, historic preservation, and transportation. Although they were separated into series in the finding aid, the folders were not rearranged and all original folder titles were maintained. Therefore, this collection may take longer to use for research as more boxes will have to be explored to ensure finding all relevant documents.
Conditions Governing Access note
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
John A. Wilson (1943-1993) served as a member of the Council of the District of Columbia from 1974 until 1993. He had represented Ward 2 for 16 years before winning the chairman's seat in 1990. He was known for his knowledge of the city's budget and influence over the city's finances. Prior to his work in the D.C. Government, Wilson had been a civil rights activist as an early organizer and later vice chairman of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee. In 1969, Wilson became the legislative director for the National Sharecropper's Fund, an advocacy group for migrant farm workers. He helped run its Washington office for six years. In 1971, Wilson served as co-chairman for the campaign for Walter Fauntroy for D.C.'s delegate to Congress.
105 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection consists of the office files of Council of the District of Columbia Member John A. Wilson.
Collection remains in original order, but folder titles were alphabetized within the finding aid and four series were created for ease of browsing the finding aid: Campaigns and elections; Correspondence; Subject files; and Audio/Visual materials.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Bonnie Brio Wilson 1993.
- AIDS (Disease) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- City council members -- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- District of Columbia. City Council.
- Homelessness -- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transportation -- Washington Metropolitan Area Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Urban renewal Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wilson, John A.
- Preliminary Guide to the John A. Wilson papers, 1974-1993
- Finding aid prepared by Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English