National Organization for Women Washington D.C. Chapter and Capitol Hill Chapter records
Collection Scope and Content
This collection contains newsletters, correspondence, newspaper articles, reports, photographs, slides, and scanned items on a compact disc. The material covers the workings of the N.O.W. Washington D.C. Chapter and the Capitol Hill N.O.W. Chapter of the National Organization for Women and runs from 1971-99 with the bulk dates falling between ca. 1971 to ca. 1983. The newsletters are from the D.C. Chapter and run from 1971-1983, with one issue from 1999. The bulk of the material is newspaper clippings and other materials that document the work of these chapters. The newsletters include the Washington Area Women's Center newsletter titled "In Our Own Write," as well as "The Washington Equal Times," and "The National N.O.W. Times."
This collection was donated by the D.C. Chapter in 2007.
Most of the materials arrived loose and have been organized and foldered by Special Collections Research Center staff. The material listed in this guide is processed and available for use, but there is additional material in the collection that is minimally processed and may not be available for research. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
- circa 1971-1999, 2023
- Majority of material found within 1971 - 1983
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
The Washington, DC NOW chapter works as part of the National Organization for Women (NOW) to help all women achieve equality. NOW was founded in 1966 and as of 2007 has 550 chapters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The District of Columbia has a second chapter, Capitol City NOW.
NOW states its goals as working "to eliminate discrimination and harassment in the workplace, schools, the justice system, and all other sectors of society; secure abortion, birth control and reproductive rights for all women; end all forms of violence against women; eradicate racism, sexism and homophobia; and promote equality and justice in our society."
6 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The material in this collection document the efforts of two chapters the Washington D.C. Chapter and the Capitol Hill Chapter of the National Organization for Women. The material in the collection dates from ca. 1971-ca. 1999.
Organized into two series: Papers and Mixed Media.
Materials are stored off-site, and will require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Donated in 2007.
- Abortion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Capitol Hill (Washington, D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Feminists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Organization for Women
- National Organization for Women. Washington, D.C. Chapter
- Pro-choice movement Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women's rights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the National Organization for Women Washington D.C. Chapter and Capitol Hill Chapter records, 1971 ca.-1999
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America