Faye Moskowitz papers
Collection Scope and Content
The collection contains correspondence, drafts, journal articles, artwork and scrapbooks relating to the literary career of Faye Moskowitz. The materials range in date from 1962 to 2007 with the majority dated in the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s. The correspondence series contains both personal letters from friends and fans as well as professional letters to publishers, Jewish groups, and other organizations. The manuscript series contains handwritten and typed copies of essays and stories written by Moskowitz. In the literary files series there are items relating to publicity and appearances made by Moskowitz. The fourth series contains artwork, including bookcovers, and also photographs and artifacts such as name tags from events Moskowitz attended. The final series contains publications such as newspapers, magazines, and journals featuring essays and story excerpts written by Moskowitz.
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
Professor Moskowitz started teaching at GW in 1980 focusing on Creative Writing and Jewish American Literature. She served as chair of the English department for 8 years and helped create the Jenny McKean Moore Professorship. She received the GW Award in Special Recognition for Contributions to University Life. She was for many years fiction editor of Lilith magazine. Her writing draws heavily on her life experiences growing up during the Depression and as Jewish person in a largely Christian society. Her publications include: “Her Face in the Mirror: Jewish Women on Mothers and Daughters; the “Bridge is Love;” “Whoever Finds This: I Love ,”an “A Leak in the Heat”. Her writing is represented in dozens of anthologies, and in addition, her poems, essays and short stories have been published in such places as The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Moment Magazine, and the Jerusalem Post.
Moskowitz died in February 2022.
13.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection includes resources related to the literary life of author and educator Faye Moskowitz.The records cover the years 1962-2007 with the bulk being from 1983-2003.
Organized into five series: Correspondence; Manuscripts; Literary files; Art work, photographs, and artifacts; and Publications
Gift of Faye Moskowitz, 2007(Accession 2007.063)
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University. Dept. of English
- Jewish literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish way of life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Moskowitz, Faye
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Preliminary Guide to the Faye Moskowitz papers, 1962-2007
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English