Highway Bridge Drawings
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of nine blueprints of the proposed Highway Bridge also known as the Potomac Highway Bridge. The designs contain views from above, the northeast, and the southeast, as well as cross-sections and half plans. Two of the prints are matted. For additional, related material, see "Map of portions of District of Columbia and Virginia in the vicinity of the proposed highway bridge above Long Bridge" (call number: G 3852.P63 1901 .M37).
Biographical / Historical
On 12 February 1901, Congress passed an Act approving the design and construction of Highway Bridge. It was meant to replace Long Bridge, an avenue for rail and vehicular traffic between Arlington, Virginia, and southern Washington, D.C. Long Bride proved inadequate to support the increased traffic on this rail line. The Secretary of War appointed a Board of Engineers, which researched the area and designed a new bridge to be built close to Long Bridge. The Board submitted its proposal to the Chief of Engineers of the U.S. Army, and the report was then submitted to Congress. The new bridge opened in 1904. Today, it is one of five bridges that link East Potomac Park to Arlington, VA.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 map folder)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of blueprints for the Highway Bridge in Washington D.C., as proposed and designed in 1901 by a Board of Engineers appointed by the Secretary of War. They were produced as part of a 25 October 1901 report to Congress on the Highway Bridge.
Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
- Bridges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bridges -- Washington (D.C.) -- 1900-1940 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Potomac Highway Bridge (Washington, D.C. and Va.) -- Planning -- Maps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Potomac Highway Bridge (Washington, D.C., and Va.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Potomac Highway Bridge (Washington, D.C., and Va.)
- "Preliminary Guide to the Highway Bridge, 1901"
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English