Baltimore and Washington Transit Company correspondence and expenses ledger
Scope and Contents
This collection contains one ledger with correspondence and account information for the Baltimore and Washington Transit Company. The letters include discussion of business arrangements between the Baltimore and Washington Transit Company and other companies in the Washington area such as the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company and the Potomac Electric Light and Power Company. The letters are from president T. William Harris. The letter recipients include the Mr. B.G. Boilleau(Chief Engineer), Mr. George Hazelton (Attorney to the Takoma Park Investement Company), B.F. Gilbert (General Manager), and W. Winslow Williams, Esq. (General Counsel). The account information includes operational expenses including expenditures and receipts. The letters date from 1898-1899 and the operating expenses range in date from 1897-1899.
- Creation: 1897-1899
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1898 - 1899
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Baltimore and Washington Transit Company (B&W) was incorporated in Maryland in the 1890s to build an interurban between Baltimore and Washington and was authorized to enter Washington to a junction with the Brightwood Railway on June 8, 1896. The Brightwood's branch to Takoma ran from its main line on Georgia Avenue east on Butternut Street to Fourth Street Northwest, where the B&W began, running via Fourth Street, Aspen Street, and Laurel Street, and to the Glen Sligo Hotel and Wildwood Resort in Maryland via Carroll Avenue, Ethan Allen Avenue, and Elm Avenue.
An extension southwest along Third Street Northwest and Kennedy Street to the end of Capital Traction's Fourteenth Street Line at Colorado Avenue was authorized on May 29, 1908. On March 4, 1914, the Maryland General Assembly changed the name to the Washington and Maryland Railway,and on May 2, 1918, it was leased by Capital Traction as the Washington and Maryland Line.
History taken from the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_and_Washington_Transit_Company
1 vol. (1 ledger of letters and accounts.)
Language of Materials
This collection contains one ledger with correspondence and account information for the Baltimore and Washington Transit Company. The letters include discussion of business arrangements between the Baltimore and Washington Transit Company and other companies in the Washington area such as the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company and the Potomac Electric Light and Power Company. The expenses and receipts include ticket sales, salary information, and costs for purchases such as oil and cigars. The letters date from 1898-1899 and the operating expenses range in date from 1897-1899.
Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased by Gelman Library, 2010 (2010.061)
The ledger paper is onion skin and some of the letters are extremely light and can be difficult to read. One method of viewing that enhances the readability is to place a white sheet of paper underneath the original letter.
- Guide to the Baltimore and Washington Transit Company correspondence and expenses ledger1897-1899
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English