Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

Mount Vernon Seminary and College M Street Campus Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MVC0002

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photographs, artifacts, school records, student scrapbooks and othe student materials. The materials range in date from circa 1877-1939.

Dates

  • circa 1875-1939

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

In the summer of 1880, Mount Vernon Seminary moved from its first location on F Street to 1100 M Street. Elizabeth Somers originally purchased two adjoining mansions and converted them into school buildings. She added to the M Street houses by building new classrooms, a conservatory, music room, and chapel. Within the next few years, Somers purchased three additional houses and oversaw their complete renovation.

While located on M Street, Mount Vernon Seminary grew to more than 150 pupils. The Mount Vernon Alumnae Association formed in 1885 and held its first reunion in 1886 on the M Street campus.

In 1917, Mount Vernon Seminary moved to a new campus on Nebraska Ave.

Extent

6.25 Linear Feet (8 document boxes, 1 slim document box, 2 flat boxes)

Language

English

Overview

M Street was the second location of Mount Vernon Seminary, founded in Washington, D.C. in 1875. The school officially began operating from its M Street location in 1880. Mount Vernon Seminary and College merged with The George Washington University in 1999. This collection contains photographs, artifacts, school event and club records, student scrapbooks and other student materials created during the school's time on M Street. The materials range in date from circa 1877-1939.

Arrangement

Organized into four series: Photographs, Artifacts, Mount Vernon Seminary records, and Alumnae scrapbooks, correspondence, and diplomas.

Physical Location

Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Collection acquired by GWU upon merger with Mount Vernon College. Collection transferred to Foggy Bottom campus in 2009.
Title
Guide to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College M Street Campus Collection, circa 1875-1939
Status
Completed
Author
Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America