Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

Mount Vernon Seminary and College Nebraska Avenue Campus Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MVC0003

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photographs, lantern slides, scrapbooks, programs, articles, menus, correspondence, and artifacts documenting the Mount Vernon Seminary and College students, faculty, and campus during the years 1917 through 1942, when the campus was located on Nebraska Avenue.

Dates

  • 1917-1942

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

Having outgrown its M Street location, Mount Vernon Seminary moved to a 15.5-acre campus on Nebraska Avenue, NW, in 1917. The buildings and layout of the campus were designed by New York architect Wesley S. Bessell and the campus was formally dedicated on November 5, 1917, Mrs. Somers' 80th birthday. Mrs. Somers died in 1924, and the Elizabeth Somers Chapel was dedicated on campus in 1925. Adelia Gates Hensley was headmistress until her death in 1923, when Jean Dean Cole became headmistress, a position she held until her death in 1939. It was under Ms. Cole's administration that MVS was divided into the preparatory and Junior College divisions. MVS celebrated the 50th anniversary of the seminary with a Golden Jubilee in 1925, and celebrated the Centenary in 1937 in observance of the 100th birthday of Mrs. Somers. In 1942, the United States Navy took over the Nebraska Avenue campus to use its facilities for the war effort. The complex is now home to the Department of Homeland Security.

Extent

12 Linear Feet

Language

English

Overview

Having outgrown its M Street location, Mount Vernon Seminary moved to a 15.5-acre campus on Nebraska Avenue, NW, in 1917. School founder Elizabeth J. Somers died in 1924, and the Elizabeth Somers Chapel was dedicated on campus in 1925. Adelia Gates Hensley was headmistress until her death in 1923, when Jean Dean Cole became headmistress, a position she held until her death in 1939. It was under Ms. Cole's administration that MVS was divided into the preparatory and Junior College divisions. MVS celebrated the 50th anniversary of the seminary with a Golden Jubilee in 1925, and celebrated the Centenary in 1937 in observance of the 100th birthday of Mrs. Somers. In 1942, the United States Navy took over the Nebraska Avenue campus to use its facilities for the war effort.

Arrangement

Organized into four series: Images, Scrapbooks, Ephemera and documents, and Artifacts.

Physical Location

Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Collection acquired by GWU upon merger with Mount Vernon College. Collection transferred to Foggy Bottom campus in 2009.

Creator

Title
Preliminary Guide to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Nebraska Avenue Campus collection, 1917-1942
Status
Completed
Author
Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America