Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

Mount Vernon Seminary and College Foxhall Road Campus Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MVC0006-RG

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photographs, negatives, contact sheets, as well as various press releases, minutes, and correspondence documenting the campus, students, and staff of Mount Vernon Seminary and College during the period from 1946 to 1999 when it was located on Foxhall Road. Images include publicity photos, formal photos of students, snapshots by students and staff, and photos of commencement, student activities, and alumnae activities. Documents, some of which date to 1940, include faculty meeting minutes, some administrative correspondence, pamphlets, programs, press releases, and promotional materials.

Dates

  • 1930-2000
  • Majority of material found within 1946 - 1980

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

Mount Vernon Seminary and Junior College moved from its Nebraska Avenue location in 1942 to make way for the United States Navy, and remained in temporary quarters in the Spring Valley neighborhood until 1946, when it reopened at 2100 Foxhall Road. This collection documents the Foxhall Road campus with photos of students, campus events, and buildings from 1946 to 1999, when the college and its campus became part of The George Washington University. It also includes some documents such as minutes, correspondence, and clippings that date as early as 1940.

Extent

6.5 Linear Feet

Language

English

Overview

This collection contains photographs, negatives, contact sheets, as well as various press releases, minutes, and correspondence documenting the campus, students, and staff of Mount Vernon Seminary and College during the period from 1946 to 1999 when it was located on Foxhall Road.

Arrangement

Organized into two series: images and documents.

Physical Location

Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.

Other Finding Aids

There are many collections from the Mount Vernon Archives that contains similar topics and types of content to that found within this collection. Please use http://library.gwu.edu/scrc/search/finding-aids-by-topic/mount-vernon-seminary-and-college for a complete list.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Collection acquired by GWU upon merger with Mount Vernon College. Collection transferred to Foggy Bottom campus in 2009.

Creator

Title
Guide to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Foxhall Road Campus Collection, 1946-1999
Status
Completed
Author
Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America