Jane Coutant Evans collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains materials related to Jane Coutant Evans' time as the seventh President of Mount Vernon College. The materials range in date from 1980 to 1990 and include: articles, certificates, correspondence, programs, photographs, and audio recordings. The bulk of the material relates to President Evans' 1981 inaugural ceremony.
- Majority of material found in 1981 - 1981
- Mount Vernon College (Organization)
- Mount Vernon Seminary (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Mount Vernon Seminary was officially established by Elizabeth Somers in 1875; she named it after her brother’s church in Baltimore, Mount Vernon Place Methodist. The Seminary began as a six year preparatory school, with four years of high school level classes, and two years of post-high school curriculum, calling it a “Family and Day School for Young Ladies.” In order to graduate, students had to complete a formal process of “Senior Essays” in which they completed primary research and wrote on a current political or social topic, including such provocative issues as child labor, prohibition, poverty, and women’s suffrage. In the 1920 graduating class, eight women continued their education at universities such as the University of Wisconsin, Stanford, Northwestern and the University of Texas; by 1923 graduates were going to such other prestigious universities as UC-Berkeley, Columbia, Cornell, Smith College and the University of Chicago. Such advancements in higher education were uncommon for women of the day, but Mount Vernon was one of the premier preparatory institutions in the country.
In 1927, Mount Vernon established a Junior College, and with its establishment, students no longer had to complete six years of courses to receive a diploma; they graduated from the Seminary after four years and could continue on to the Junior College for two more years of college preparation. After World War II began, the U.S. Navy took over the campus as a part of the war effort; in 1945 the school purchased 21 acres on Foxhall Road and surrounding areas, and had applied for accreditation to award Associates of Arts Degrees after completing two years of the Junior College.
Despite its expansion, by 1965 the Board of Trustees voted unanimously to dissolve the Seminary by 1969, as it could not financially support both institutions. During the 1960s, the Junior College developed new academic concentrations such as government, international relations and political science to reflect its location in the nation’s capital. At the same time, it began to phase out its vocational training such as home economics and secretarial skills to make room for these higher education courses.
By 1973, the Board of Higher Education licensed the college to award Bachelor of Arts (BA) degrees such as Public Affairs, Government, Business Administration, Childhood, Special Education, and the Visual Arts, as well as honorary Doctor of Humane Letters and Juris Doctor Degrees; in 1976, the college received initial accreditation as a four-year college and was reaccredited ten years later. However, by 1996 the college announced a plan to affiliate with George Washington University; in 1999 the last class of Mount Vernon College graduated. Today, as an affiliated campus of GWU, Mount Vernon offers special living accommodations, as well as learning and leadership programs for female students.
Dr. Jane Coutant Evans was named Mount Vernon College's seventh President in 1980. Evans remained President until her retirement in 1990.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Language of Materials
Jane Coutant Evans was the sevent president of Mount Vernon College located in Washington, D.C. The school was originally founded as Mount Vernon Seminary by Elizabeth J. Somers in 1875. The school eventually merged with The George Washington University in 1999. This collection contains articles, certificates, correspondence, programs, photographs, and audio recordings related to President Evans from the years 1980 to 1990.
Organized into 2 series: Documents and print materials and Photographic and audio materials
Materials are stored off-site, and will require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Other Finding Aids
There are many collections from the Mount Vernon Archives that contains similar topics and types of content to that found within this collection. Please use http://library.gwu.edu/scrc/search/finding-aids-by-topic/mount-vernon-seminary-and-college for a complete list.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Mount Vernon Seminary and College archives were acquired by GWU upon merger with Mount Vernon College. The collection was transferred to the Foggy Bottom campus in 2009.
- Guide to the Jane Coutant Evans collection, 1980-1990
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America