Mount Vernon Seminary and College Catalogue Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the catalogs of the Mount Vernon Seminary, the Mount Vernon Junior College and Mount Vernon College. The material dates from 1877 to 1998. The Mount Vernon Seminary Catalogues date from 1877 to 1969; The Mount Vernon Junior College Catalogues date from 1934-1969; and the Mount Vernon College Catalogues date from 1970-1998. These are not only course catalogues, but also include brief histories of the college, academic calendars, admission requirements, information about individual courses offered at the college, rules and regulations, and the names of important administrative offices.
- Majority of material found within 1877 - 1998
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Mount Vernon Seminary was officially established by Elizabeth Somers in 1875; she named it after her brother’s church in Baltimore, Mount Vernon Place Methodist. The Seminary began as a six year prepatory school, with four years of high school level classes, and two years of post-high school curriculum, calling it a “Family and Day School for Young Ladies.” In order to graduate, students had to complete a formal process of “Senior Essays” in which they completed primary research and wrote on a current political or social topic, including such provocative issues as child labor, prohibition, poverty, and women’s suffrage. In the 1920 graduating class, eight women continued their education at universities such as the University of Wisconsin, Stanford, Northwestern and the University of Texas; by 1923 graduates were going to such other prestigious universities as UC-Berkeley, Columbia, Cornell, Smith College and the University of Chicago. Such advancements in higher education were uncommon for women of the day, but Mount Vernon was one of the premier prepatory institutions in the country.
In 1927, Mount Vernon established a Junior College, and with its establishment, students no longer had to complete six years of courses to receive a diploma; they graduated from the Seminary after four years and could continue on to the Junior College for two more years of college preparation. After World War II began, the U.S. Navy took over the campus as a part of the war effort; in 1945 the school purchased 21 acres on Foxhall Road and surrounding areas, and had applied for accreditation to award Associates of Arts Degrees after completing two years of the Junior College.
Despite its expansion, by 1965 the Board of Trustees voted unanimously to dissolve the Seminary by 1969, as it could not financially support both institutions. During the 1960s, the Junior College developed new academic concentrations such as government, international relations and political science to reflect its location in the nation’s capital. At the same time, it began to phase out its vocational training such as home economics and secretarial skills to make room for these higher education courses.
By 1973, the Board of Higher Education licensed the college to award Bachelor of Arts (BA) degrees such as Public Affairs, Government, Business Administration, Childhood, Special Education, and the Visual Arts, as well as honorary Doctor of Humane Letters and Juris Doctor Degrees; in 1976, the college received initial accreditation as a four-year college and was reaccredited ten years later. However, by 1996 the college announced a plan to affiliate with George Washington University; in 1999 the last class of Mount Vernon College graduated. Today, as an affiliated campus of GWU, Mount Vernon offers special living accommodations, as well as learning and leadership programs for female students.
7.25 Linear Feet (13 document boxes, 1 slim document box)
Language of Materials
This collection contains the course catalogues of the Mount Vernon Seminary, the Mount Vernon Junior College, and the Mount Vernon College. The Mount Vernon Seminary was officially established by Elizabeth Somers in 1875, and was a six-year prepatory institution for young women. In 1927, Mount Vernon established a Junior College, which was open until 1969, when Mount Vernon College became a four-year unversity, which was an independent institution until 1998, when it became affilated with The George Washington University. Materials date from 1877 to 1998, and are not only course catalogs, but also include brief history of the college, academic calendars, admission requirements, information about individual courses offered at the college, rules and regulations, and the names of important administrative offices.
Organized into two series: Mount Vernon Seminary Catalogues and Mount Vernon College Catalogues.
Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection is from Mount Vernon College, which George Washington University acquired in 1999.
Existence and Location of Copies
There is a complete set of Mount Vernon Seminary and College Catalogues in the Special Collections Reading Room for patrons.
- Guide to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Catalogue Collection, 1877-1998
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English