Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

Mount Vernon Seminary and College Office of Development records

 Collection
Identifier: MVC0028-RG

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the records of the Mount Vernon College Office of Development. Records date from 1953 to 2005, with the bulk of the material dating between 1997 and 2001 during which Mount Vernon College transitioned from an independent educational institution to a satellite campus of the George Washington University. Subjects include Mount Vernon Today newsletter, budgets and operating plans, campaign planning and capital projects, prospective donors and alumnae, Women in Politics and Journalism Residential Program, endowment funds and foundations, Dear Daughters, Mount Vernon Council, honorary degree recipients, building dedications, and special events. This collection is minimally processed and may contain restricted material that is not currently available for research. Please contact Special Collections for more information.

Dates

  • 1953-2005
  • Majority of material found within 1997 - 2001

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This entire collection is closed for 30 years. All inquries need to go to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

Mount Vernon Seminary and College was an all-women's high school and junior college founded in 1875 by Elizabeth J. Somers. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999. The Office of Development at Mount Vernon College was originally named the Office of Advancement. Development activities for the George Washington University's Mount Vernon Campus currently fall under the GW Division of Development and Alumni Relations under the Vice President for Advancement.

Extent

9 Linear Feet (6 record cartons)

Language

English

Overview

Mount Vernon Seminary and College was an all-women's high school and junior college founded in 1875 by Elizabeth J. Somers. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999. This collection contains the records of the Mount Vernon College Office of Development. Records date from 1953 to 2005, with the bulk of the material dating between 1997 and 2001.

Arrangement

This collection is unprocessed and files are in the order as received.

Physical Location

Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred by GW Division of Development and Alumni Relations, 10/14/2009 (2009.063)

Creator

Title
Preliminary Guide to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Office of Development records, 1953-2005
Status
Folder Inventory
Author
University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America