Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

Mount Vernon Seminary and College Student Government Association records

 Collection
Identifier: MVC0038-RG

Scope and Contents

This collection contains meeting minutes, calendars, receipts, documents on events and programs, correspondence, flyers, and programs. The materials date from 1982-1997, with the bulk of the collection ranging from 1992-1996. The records are related to the Student Government Association and its role encouraging student participation at Mount Vernon College.

Dates

  • 1982-1997
  • Majority of material found within 1992 - 1996

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Historical note

The Student Government Association of Mount Vernon College was the governing council of the student body and a forum for the expression of student opinion, projects, events, and concerns to the college administration and faculty. It was also responsible for introducing appropriate policies in the interest of students.

The Mount Vernon Seminary began in 1875 as a private high school and junior college for women, founded by Elizabeth J. Somers. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999.

The first school of higher education available to women in Washington, D.C., Mount Vernon Seminary and College had five different locations throughout its history:

1875-1880: Elizabeth Somers began tutoring the young daughters of prominent Washington men in her home at 204 F Street, NW in Washington, DC.

1880-1917: The school moved to 1100 M Street, NW where it expanded rapidly to include three additional houses, a courtyard, tennis court, and basketball court.

1917-1942: Having outgrown its M Street location, the school moved to a 15-acre campus on Nebraska Avenue, NW. In 1942, the United States Navy took over the Nebraska Avenue campus to use its facilities for the war effort.

1943-1946: The school resumed courses in February 1943 at the top floor of a Garfinckel’s department store building in the Spring Valley neighborhood of Washington, D.C.

1946-1999: Between 1944 and 1946, the school built a new 21-acre campus located on Foxhall Road in Washington, D.C. using money granted to the college by the United States Navy in compensation for the military takeover of its property.

The last Seminary class graduated in 1969, and the school was then officially renamed to Mount Vernon Junior College. In 1976, Mount Vernon College became an accredited four year college. In 1997, the Board of Trustees decided that the College would close as an independent institution. As of June 30, 1999, Mount Vernon became affiliated with The George Washington University.

Extent

2.25 Linear Feet (4 document boxes and 1 slim document box)

Language

English

Abstract

This collection contains records of the Student Government Association at Mount Vernon Seminary and College. The Mount Vernon Seminary began in 1875 as a private high school and junior college for women, founded by Elizabeth J. Somers. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999. The materials date from 1982-1997, with the bulk of the collection ranging from 1992-1996.

This collection is from Mount Vernon College, which George Washington University acquired in 1999.

Arrangement

This collection is organized chronologically.

Physical Location

Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection is from Mount Vernon College, which The George Washington University acquired in 1999.
Title
Guide to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Student Government Association records, 1982-1997
Status
Completed
Author
Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America