Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

Mount Vernon Seminary and College Media collection

 Collection
Identifier: MVC0044-MS

Scope and Contents

This collection contains videotapes, audio cassettes, audio tape reels, 8 mm film, 16 mm film, and a 35 mm film from the Mount Vernon Seminary and College archives. The recordings capture campus scenes, ceremonies, celebrations, and student life predominately on the Spring Valley and Foxhall Road campuses of Mount Vernon Seminary and College. They range in date from 1925 to 1999, with the bulk of the media dating between 1946 and 1999.

Dates

  • 1925-1999
  • Majority of material found within 1946 - 1999

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

The Mount Vernon Seminary began in 1875 as a private high school and junior college for women, founded by Elizabeth J. Somers. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999.

The first school of higher education available to women in Washington, D.C., Mount Vernon Seminary and College had five different locations throughout its history:

1875-1880: Elizabeth Somers began tutoring the young daughters of prominent Washington men in her home at 204 F Street, NW in Washington, DC.

1880-1917: The school moved to 1100 M Street, NW where it expanded rapidly to include three additional houses, a courtyard, tennis court, and basketball court.

1917-1942: Having outgrown its M Street location, the school moved to a 15.5-acre campus on Nebraska Avenue, NW. The buildings and layout of the campus were designed by a New York architect, Wesley S. Bessell. and the campus was formally dedicated on November 5, 1917 -- Mrs. Somers' 80th birthday. In 1942, the United States Navy took over the Nebraska Avenue campus to use its facilities for the war effort.

1943-1946: The school resumed courses in February 1943 at the top floor of a Garfinckel’s department store building in the Spring Valley neighborhood of Washington, D.C.

1946-1999: Between 1944 and 1946, the school built a new 21-acre campus located on Foxhall Road in Washington, D.C. using money granted to the college by the United States Navy in compensation for the military takeover of its property.

The last Seminary class graduated in 1969, and the school was then officially renamed to Mount Vernon Junior College. In 1976, Mount Vernon College became an accredited four year college. In 1997, the Board of Trustees decided that the College would close as an independent institution. As of June 30, 1999, Mount Vernon became affiliated with The George Washington University.

Extent

5 Linear Feet (2 over-size video tape boxes, 1 flat box, 2 letter-size document boxes, 12 film cans)

Language

English

Overview

The Mount Vernon Seminary began in 1875 as a private high school and junior college for women, founded by Elizabeth J. Somers. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999. This collection contains videotapes, audio cassettes, audio tape reels, 8 mm film, 16 mm film, and a 35 mm film from the Mount Vernon Seminary and College archives. The recordings capture campus scenes, ceremonies, celebrations, and student life predominately on the Spring Valley and Foxhall Road campuses of Mount Vernon Seminary and College. They range in date from 1925 to 1999, with the bulk of the media dating between 1946 and 1999.

Arrangement

Organized into four series: Films, Videos, Audio Cassettes, and Audio Tape Reels.

Physical Location

Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The Mount Vernon Seminary and College archives were acquired by GWU upon merger with Mount Vernon College. The collection was transferred to the Foggy Bottom campus in 2009.

Bib#

8821938
Title
Guide to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Media collection, 1923-1999
Status
Completed
Author
Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America