Mount Vernon Seminary and College Alumnae Association Records
Scope and Contents Note
This collection contains the publications, photographs, administrative records, and realia of the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Alumnae Association. The material dates from 1839 to 1995. Publications include theAnnual Reports of the Alumnae Association dating from 1889 to 1933; The Roll Call dates from 1913 to 1933; Alumnae Roll Call dates from 1934 to 1940; and the The Alumnae Asosociation of Mount Vernon Seminary was only published for one year, 1933. Other publications are also present. Materials contain information on campus life, Mount Vernon Seminary Council, meetings, alumnae reunions and luncheons, legacy daughters and granddaughters, reports on the treasury, marriages, briths, engagements, deaths, memorials, faculty and alumnae personals, lists of members, chapter news, school notes, Founder’s Day, faculty notes, and M.V.S Day celebrations.
The photographs depict reunions, sporting events, personnel, and Washington DC in print, slide, and positive formats. The photographs date between 1976-1990 but many are undated. The administrative records date from 1989-1991 and detail the activities of the alumnae association, including reunions, budgets, sporting events, ledgers, and chapter information. Realia includes medals, songbooks, pins, and rings. They date between 1839-1975 and originate from academic and non-academic organizations within Mount Vernon College and Seminary.
Conditions Governing Access Note
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use Note
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Mount Vernon Seminary began in 1875 as a private high school and junior college for women, founded by Elizabeth J. Somers. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999.
The Alumnae Association of Mount Vernon seminary was established in 1885. Miss Minnie E. Naylor from the school's first class and Miss Frances C. Scoville from the class of 1884 wanted to form an organization that would reunite alumnae with each other and bind them to their alma mater. A group of previous students met in 1885 to establish a constitution, which included an annual reunion to be held the Saturday before commencement every June. By 1889, the Association boasted a membership of 90 alumnae, who each paid an annual fee of $1.00. Membership fees included the receipt of the Annual Report of the Alumnae Association.
The Mount Vernon Seminary Society was formed in 1905 as a means of binding together all of the pupils of the school, both graduates and undergraduates. Many of their efforts to draw the M.V.S. community together was through philanthropic educational work for children. Dues were $1.00/year, which included the annual receipt of their publication, The Roll Call. The difference between the Alumnae Association and the Mount Vernon Seminary Society was the inclusion of non-graduates. The Alumnae Association only allowed graduates to join; however, the Mount Vernon Seminary Society allowed anyone who had taken classes and faculty to join as well.
At a meeting in 1932, the Mount Vernon Seminary Society expressed a desire for the Alumnae Association to open to non-graduates. They wished for the word 'alumna' to include both graduate and non-graduate members. Additonally, the group also expressed their interest in combining the Alumnae Annual and The Roll Call because they felt that the two groups should work together as one common body of alumnae. On November 4, 1933 the two organizations merged to form The Mount Vernon Seminary Alumnae Association. As a result, their annual publications, The Roll Call and Alumnae Annual, were combined into the Alumnae Roll Call.
6 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection contains publications, photographs, administration records and realia created and maintained by the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Alumnae Association. Dating between 1889 and 1995, the publications include The Roll Call, Alumnae Roll Call, The Alumnae Asosociation of Mount Vernon Seminary, and Annual Reports of the Alumnae Association. The Alumnae Association was established in 1885 and merged with the Mount Vernon Seminary Society in 1933 to form the Mount Vernon Seminary Alumnae Association. Common topics discussed in the publications include campus and alumnae events, reunions, commencements, enrollment statistics, chapter news, Founder's Day, essays, personals, and updates on campus.
Organized into four series: Publications, Photographs, Administrative records, and Realia.
Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition Note
The Mount Vernon Seminary and College archives were acquired by GWU upon merger with Mount Vernon College. The collection was transferred to the Foggy Bottom campus in 2009.
Existence and Location of Copies Note
A complete set of Annual Reports of the Alumnae Association is available in the Special Collections Research Center reading room.
- Alumni & alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Vernon Seminary
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Alumnae Association records, 1839-1995
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America