Margaret McBride Karns Mount Vernon Seminary papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains papers, ephemera, and memorabilia pertaining to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College collected by alumna Margaret McBride Karns, Seminary class of 1931. The bulk of the material is related to the Mount Vernon Seminary, and Karns' association with the school as a student and as an alumna. The materials date from 1888 to 2000, with the bulk dating between 1930 and 1975.
- Creation: 1888-2000
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1930 - 1975
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Margaret McBride Karns (1910-2010) was a graduate of Mount Vernon Seminary, a private women's high school and later college in Washington, D.C. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999.
Ms. Karns was born July 9, 1910 to Dr. Lewis E. and Emma Lamberton McBride. Mrs. Karns was a graduate of Franklin High School in Franklin, Pennyslvania in 1929. She graduated from Mount Vernon College in 1931, and she graduated from the Special Course for College Women at the Katherine Gibbs School in Boston, Massachusetts.
Ms. Karns was employed as an executive secretary by Pennzoil Company, Oil City, from 1933 to 1953. She married Frederick P. Karns on November 28, 1953.
She was a member of the Board of Directors of Franklin Hospital for six years, serving as Secretary of the Board for three years. She was Chairman of Advance Gifts for four years, while a member of Franklin Area United Fund. She was Women's Chairman, Venango County Savings Bond Committee from September 20, 1961 to November 5, 1969.
Her volunteer work included serving as an American Red Cross volunteer nurse aide during World War II, work with the Hospital Hostess Shop, and work for the eye screening program of Venango County Association for the Blind. Drives for charitable organizations, such as Cerebral Palsy, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, and United Way also received her volunteer efforts.
Margaret Karns was a member of the Monday Club of Oil City Pennsylvania and Franklin Pennsylvania, Wednesday Club of Franklin, The Franklin Club, Ladies Auxiliary of Franklin Commandery No. 44; Nursery Chapter No. 25, Order of Eastern Star; St. Hilda's Guild of St. John Episcopal Church, a former and 25-year member of St. John's Altar Guild; Friends of the Library and Franklin Library Association; honorary member of Northwest Health System Corporation, Northwest Medical Center Auxiliary, life member of Venango County Historical Society, Venango Chapter NSDAR, member of DAR Northwestern District Regent's Club, The Retired Officers Association Auxiliary, and Historic Franklin Preservation Association.
Ms. Karns also gave of her time to the Mount Vernon Seminary Alumni Assocation, serving as a Class Agent for the Class of 1931 during the school's annual fund campaigns.
As a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Franklin from 1927 to 1954 she served as Deacon and Secretary of the Board of Deacons from 1952 to 1953. After her marriage in The First Presbyterian Church to Frederick P. Karns, she was confirmed in 1954 in St. John Episcopal Church.
In 1962 she was recipient of Franklin Chamber of Commerce citizenship award, "Woman of the Year."
She also supported the DeBence Antique Music Museum, Barrow Civic Theatre and Franklin Fine Arts Council.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband in 1984, and a brother Lewis E. McBride Jr in 1981.
2 Linear Feet (1 document box and 2 flat boxes)
Language of Materials
Margaret McBride Karns (1910-2010) was a graduate of Mount Vernon Seminary, a private women's high school, and later college, in Washington, D.C. The George Washington University initially affiliated with Mount Vernon College, and ultimately acquired the college's property and legacy in 1999. This collection contains papers, ephemera, and memorabilia pertaining to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College collected by alumna Margaret McBride Karns, Seminary class of 1931. The bulk of the material is related to the Mount Vernon Seminary, and Karns' association with the school as a student and as an alumna. The materials date from 1888 to 2000, with the bulk dating between 1930 and 1975.
The papers and ephemera in this collection are filed by subject, and then by rough chronological order. Realia and oversize material are at the end.
Materials may be stored off-site, and may require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the estate of Margaret McBride Karns, March 15, 2011 (2011.023).
The following materials were separated from this collection and integrated into other Mount Vernon Seminary and College collections:
Added to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Alumnae Office records, MVC0043, Series 1:
-Mount Vernon Seminary and College Bulletins, 1958-1996.
Added to the Mount Vernon Seminary and College Alumnae Association records, MVC0049
- Annual Reports of the Mount Vernon Seminary Alumnae Association, 1931-1933.
- Mount Vernon Seminary and Junior College directories, 1937 and 1951
- Mount Vernon Seminary Alumnae Roll Calls, 1930-1939.
- Guide to the Margaret McBride Karns Mount Vernon Seminary papers, 1888-2000
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English