Skip to main content

Medical Center records

Identifier: RG0007

Collection Scope and Content

Materials in this collection include personnel files, minutes, correspondence, yearbooks, newsletters, publications, photographs, negatives, by-laws, scrapbooks, telephone directories, films, and videotapes. They range in date from dates from 1825-2011, and were transferred to the University Archives by the Director of the Medical Center. Note that not all series have been processed. Please see staff for assistance.


  • 1825-2011


Restrictions on Access

Series 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, and 13 are closed to research for 75 years from date of record creation.

Restrictions on Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Historical Note

The George Washington University Medical Center is comprised of School of Medicine and Health Sciences, the University Hospital (including the Women's Board, which was formed in 1898), and the University Clinic (Ambulatory Care Center).

The medical school was opened in 1825 and is the eleventh oldest in the nation. From 1868-1973 it was located at 1335 H Street, NW. In 1973 it moved to Walter G. Ross Hall and the Himmelfarb Medical Library. All aspects of the Medical Center -hospital, medical school, and research facilities - were centralized at last. The hospital had been located at 1335 H Street until 1948, when a new hospital was built on Washington Circle.

A new hospital was constructed in 2002 across the street from the old one. The University Clinic opened in 1969 on Pennsylvania Avenue and was expanded to house the Ambulatory Care Center in 1988.

In 1981 the Medical Center's staff made front-page news when President Reagan, shot at close range, was rushed to the GW emergency room. The fine service that saved the president's life was commemorated 10 years later by the establishment of the Ronald Reagan Institute of Emergency Medicine to train emergency system coordinators and pursue basic and clinical research in emergency medicine.

The Medical Center publishes Progress (1989-Present), which evolved from the Friday Report (1970-89), and GW Health and Medicine magazine (1965-Present). The Vice President for Health Affairs (which oversees the Medical Center) reports to the President.

N.B. This history note was written in 2005


131.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



Collection includes personnel files, minutes, correspondence, yearbooks, newsletters, publications, photographs, scrapbooks, telephone directories, films, and videotapes.

Collection Organization

Organized into thirty-one series: Personnel files; Medical staff office files; Personnel files; Articles and studies; Reprints; Chartering ceremony (currently missing); Photographs and negatives; Reports; Statistics of medical school; Women's board; Committee files; Inactive physicians files; Inactive physicians files; Women's board; Alumni Association for Health Services Management; Health Services Management and Policy Alumni Association; Women's board; Telephone directories; Publication; Department of Pharmacology reprints; Films; School of Public Health and Health Services; Women's Board; Photographs, papers, and videotapes; Yearbooks; Friday Report; GW Medicine/Health magazine; Photographs; State Health Notes newsletter; Progress newsletter; Records.

Acquisition Information

Materials transfered to University Archives by the Medical Center.

Collection note

There is no series number 31.

Guide to the Medical Center records, 1825-2005
University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America