Graduate School of Education and Human Development records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include Reading Center client files, student papers, reports, newsletters, pamphlets, a time capsule, and a video tape, and range in date from 1930 to 2011. Materials were put on exhibit in the Fall of 2004 in the Gelman Library to celebrate the Centenary of the School. They were transferred to the University Archives by the Dean of the Graduate School of Education and Human Development and faculty members. Note: Not all series are processed. Ask staff for assistance.
Restrictions on Access
Series 1 is closed to research for 75 years from date of record creation.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
Clearly identified professional courses for teachers at The George Washington University were first offered in 1904-05, and the Division of Education, under the Columbian College, was established in 1907. In 1909 this division became the Teachers College, and in 1928 the School of Education.
By this time its faculty were staffing departments of education, educational psychology and home economics. In 1932, a year before it began its doctoral programs, the School accepted the responsibility for providing required physical education to all GW undergraduates, until the '60s when these requirements were dropped.
In 1977 the name was again changed to the School of Education and Human Development. The School is a unit within the University structure having jurisdiction over professional teacher education programs, as well as other professional programs in education and human development. Up until this time the School also oversaw the Reading Center.
In 1987 the School was organized into four departments: Department of Teacher Preparation and Special Education; the Department of Human Kinetics and Tourism; the Department of Educational Leadership, and the Department of Human Services. Each is headed by a department chair.
Since 1994 the School has been known as The Graduate School of Education and Human Development, when it transitioned from a comprehensive undergraduate/graduate entity to one focusing exclusively on graduate education. In 2004 the School celebrated its Centenary. The Dean of the School reports to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.
N.B. This history note was written in 2005
83 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection includes Reading Center client files, student papers, reports, newsletters, pamphlets, a time capsule, and a video tape, and range in date from 1930 to 1992. Materials were put on exhibit in the Fall of 2004 in the Gelman Library to celebrate the Centenary of the School.
Organized into nine series: Reading Center files; Student papers; Time capsule; Newsletter and pamphlets; Video tape; Adult education study; Report; Papers; and Centers and departmental files.
Materials acquired through transfers from Graduate School of Education and Human Development.
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- George Washington University. School of Education and Human Development
- Reading Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports and studies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Special education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Graduate School of Education and Human Development records, 1930-1996
- University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English