Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

School of Business and Public Management records

 Collection
Identifier: RG0013

Collection Scope and Content

This collection contains correspondence, reports, student records, course materials, and publications. The material dates from 1925 to 2004. These records relate to the work of the departments included in the School of Business and Public Management and records from the Office of the Dean.

PLEASE NOTE: This collection does not have a series #19

Dates

  • 1925-2013

Restrictions on Access

Series 9 is closed to research for 25 years from date of record creation. Student records in Series 8 and 9 are closed for 100 years from date of record creation. Access to student records is governed by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which protects the privacy of student education records.

Restrictions on Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Historical Note

The George Washington University's School of Business offers renowned programs in international business, finance, and entrepreneurship/small business, and the school prides itself on offering students flexibility in their programs of study. In 2004, the Board of Trustees renamed the School of Business and Public Management the School of Business, and reorganized the Public Administration Department into the School of Public Policy and Public Administration (within the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences).

The George Washington University has offered government and business-type course for nearly a century, but the institutional entity now known as the School of Business had its modern origins in 1928 when University President Cloyd Heck Marvin accepted a million-dollar endowment from the League of Masonic Clubs to establish what was then known simply as the School of Government.

Since its founding in 1928 the School has benefited notably, and perhaps uniquely, from the continuing generosity of Masonic groups. Their funding of the Scottish Rites Fellowships and Wolcott Scholarships assured the recruiting of top-ranked students, and what might be called the School Masonic connection continued when Stephen Joel Trachtenberg, a Mason, became President of the University.

The grouping of business, government, and international affairs remained intact until 1966 when President Lloyd H. Elliott split their faculties into separate schools: one, the School of Public and International Affairs, which later became the Elliott School of International Affairs, the other, the School of Government and Business Administration renamed in 1990 as the school of Business and Public Management.

Extent

61 Linear Feet

Language

English

Abstract

Collection contains correspondence, reports, student records, course materials, and publications. The material dates from 1925 to 2004. These records relate to the work of the departments included in the School of Business and Public Management and records from the Office of the Dean.

Collection Organization

Organized into nineteen series: four series of Departmental files, and one series of History files, Health Care Administration Department, Office of the Dean, Office of the Dean, Research and continuing professional education, Public Administration Department, Departmental files, Finance Department, Duques building, Videotapes, Publications, "Policy Perspectives," "Washington Edition," "Tuesday Report," Business Administration Department, Ben Burdetsky files.

Acquisition Information

Materials acquired through transfers from the School of Business and Public Management.

Collection note

Please note: there is no series 19.
Title
Guide to the School of Business and Public Management records, 1925-2004
Author
University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2005
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America