Division of Continuing Education records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include materials relating to the continuing education for Women program and Women's educational equity Act project, video tapes of First Ladies Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton for "President's spouse," seminars and program guides. Also included is adult education, continuing education for women, pamphlets, syllabi, reports, Abbie Smith correspondence, manuals, biographical files and photographs of Distinguished Alumni Award Winners and those nominated, faculty files, and course descriptions. The collection also contains documents related to the Telecommunications program that was offered through the Division of Continuing Education. The collection covers the years 1937 to 2003.
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Division of Continuing Education was the branch of the university dedicated to extended educational course and programs to the general population. These were not degree programs. Over the years there have been several nationally known programs such as Women's Studies.
This program grew from a highly successful Continuing Education for Women (CEW) project founded in 1965 and led by Professor Ruth Osborn. These CEW students, many of them college graduates influenced by the Women's Movement, wanted graduate work that would enable them to help other women. With demonstrated student demand, Dr. Osborn persuaded the administration to approve an interdisciplinary M.A. degree comparable to other Special Studies M.A. degrees in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Today this program is known as the College of Professional Studies.
21.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection includes video tapes of First Ladies Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton for "President's spouse," seminars and program guides, continuing education for women, pamphlets, syllabi, reports, manuals, biographical files, photographs and continuing education for telecommunications.
Organized into four series: Continuing education for women, Videotapes, Continuing education files, Distinguished alumni awards.
Materials are stored off-site, and will require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Materials transfered to University Archives by Division of Continuing Education.
In 2017 Accession 2017.073 was added. This is from the Department of Telecommunications.
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- George Washington University--Alumni and alumnae
- George Washington University. Division of Continuing Education
- Osborn, Ruth Helm
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Presidents' spouses Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Telecommunication Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Division of Continuing Education records, 1937-2003
- University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America