Office of Alumni Relations records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in the collection includes photographs and negatives of President Trachtenberg, events, alumni reunion weekends, campus buildings, Distinguished Alumni Awards dinners, homecomings, alumni on the cover of Time, and Alumni Achievement Awards.
The collection also includes print materials regarding annual meetings, addresses, events calendars, publications, questionnaires, reunions, Honorary Degrees, special events, Alumni Directories, the General Alumni Association, meeting minutes, Cherry Tree and National University Law School yearbooks, and plaques. Materials in the collection range in date from 1848-2010. Note: Not all series are processed. Ask staff for assistance.
Restrictions on Access
Series 5, 6, 15, and 17 are closed to research for 50 years from date of record creation.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The George Washington Alumni Association (GWAA) was founded to strengthen the relationship between alumni and the University. There are alumni programs for each school at the university as well as associated alumni groups such as Columbian Women and the Society of the Emeriti. Alumni affairs reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
This history note was written in 2005.
70.75 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection includes photographs and negatives, office files regarding Alumni Achievement Awards, and memorabilia.
Organized into 23 series: Photographs; Memorabilia; Alumni house files; Photographs of distinguished alumni; General alumni association files; Alumni association board of directors files; T-shirt; Binders; Contact sheets and negatives; Photos from old events; Historic materials; Images of distinguished alumni; Photos of President Trachtenberg; Alumni directories; General alumni association files; Yearbooks and memorabilia; Alumni association files; Alumni weekend; Notebook; Alumni files; Law alumni photographs; GW Impact, report on philanthropy; and a file on alumni killed in the September 11 attacks. There is no series 19.
Materials acquired through transfers from Office of Alumni Relations.
- Awards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- By-laws Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Columbian Women, George Washington University, Washington (D.C.)
- Directories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Events Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- George Washington University--Alumni and alumnae
- George Washington University. Alumni Relations Office
- Meetings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reunions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Office of Alumni Relations records, 1848-2005
- Partially Processed
- University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English