University historical materials collection
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include student records, blueprints, audio tapes, cassette tapes, invitations, speeches, diplomas, newspapers, photographs and negatives, plat maps, academic costumes, scrapbooks, artifacts, charters, and awards. They date from 1821-2012. They were transferred to the University Archives through various campus offices and individuals. Note that not all series have been fully processed. Please contact staff for assistance.
- Creation: 1821-2012
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
This collection was created in January 2005 as a way of bringing together a number of small accessions that had never been assigned to a specific record group in The George Washington University Archives. Some of these accessions represent excellent documentation of the early years of the University, both in written and visual form. These include early land holdings, 19th century newspaper accounts of the early college, Civil War records copied form the National Archives, as well as the first student newpapers. Many are surmised to have come from the office of University Historian Elmer Louis Kayser, who was associated with the University as a student and faculty member from 1914-85.
In 2016 and 2017, with the reprocessing of the Office of the President records, some series of photographs and memorabilia were moved into RG0031, and some series and boxes of records from the office of the president were moved into RG0002, resulting in the current series numbering.
Also in 2017, a significant number of artifacts of minimal research value were deaccessioned.
95.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection include photos, diplomas, invitations, newspapers, early land holdings, 19th century newspaper accounts of the early college, Civil War records, and memorabilia.
Organized in 28 series, numbered 1-7 (two series are numbered 2 and two are numbered 6), 9-20, 24, 25, 31, 33, 34, 37, and 53. Photographs are located in series 1, 2, 33, and 34. Early college records are located in series 3. Audio and video recordings are located in series 4 and 20. The remaining series contain former veritcal files, memorabilia, artifacts, newspapers, scrapbooks, awards, and other miscellanea.
Materials acquired through transfers from campus offices and gifts from donors.
During some clean up work in 2018 the content of box 244 was combined with the content in box 240. Now the collection does not have a box 244.
- Carroll, Thomas Henry (Person)
- Trachtenberg, Stephen Joel (Person)
- Colclough, Oswald S. (Person)
- Bloedorn, W. A. (Walter Andrew) (Person)
- George Washington University. Medical Center (Organization)
- Borden, William Cline (Person)
- George Washington University (Organization)
- George Washington University--Alumni and alumnae (Organization)
- George Washington University. Law School (Organization)
- George Washington University--History (Organization)
- Eban, Abba Solomon (Person)
- Cronkite, Walter (Person)
- Columbian University (Organization)
- Columbian College in the District of Columbia (Organization)
- Scottish Rite (Masonic order) (Organization)
- Samson, G. W. (George Whitefield) (Person)
- Luther Rice (Person)
- Elliott, Lloyd H. (Person)
- Mubarak, Muhammad Husni (Person)
- Morris, Edward Karrick (E.K.) (Person)
- Marvin, Dorothy Betts (Person)
- Marvin, Cloyd Heck (Person)
- Levitan, Sar (Person)
Genre / Form
- Guide to the University Historical Material records, 1821-2012
- University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English