Office of Admissions records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include application information, statistics, and promotional brochures. They range in date from 1904 to 2000, and were transferred to the University Archives by the Director of the Admissions Office.
- George Washington University. Office of Admissions (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Access to student records is governed by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which protects the privacy of student education records. Student records in Series 2 are closed for 100 years from date of record creation.
Series 3 is closed to research for 25 years from date of record creation.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Board of Trustees determines admissions requirements at The George Washington University, and the Admissions Office oversees applications to the University. Admission to GW is selective and highly competitive. In considering applicants, the review includes a comprehensive analysis of the applicant's academic background, including essays, letters of recommendations, test scores, and extracurricular activities.
Before 1929 the Registrar's Office was also responsible for admissions, and it was not until the Supreme Court's Brown vs. Board of Education decision in 1954 that African-Americans were freely admitted. Undergraduate admissions are under the Vice President for Student and Academic Support Services. Graduate admissions are under the control if the individuals schools. The Admissions Office publishes a variety of promotional materials yearly (including videotapes).
N.B. This history note was written in 2005
9.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection includes application information, statistics, and promotional brochures.
Organized into four series: Office files, Student enrollment and applications, Research and statistics, and Promotional literature.
Materials acquired through transfers from Office of Admissions.
- College applications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Foggy Bottom (Washington, D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- Statistics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Admission Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Office of Admissions records, 1904-2000
- University Archives, Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America