Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

Columbian College Office of the Dean records

 Collection
Identifier: RG0068

Collection Scope and Content

Materials in this collection include academic guides for entering freshmen/students, original charter of Phi Beta Kappa at GW, photographs, committee on publications minutes, correspondence, Hatchet constitution, materials from the curriculum committee relating to the reform of the general education requirements for Columbian College, flags, committee on sponsored research, theses from Columbian College (including 1917 notebook on airplanes and military airplanes). The collections covers the years 1873 to 1993.

Dates

  • 1873-1990

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Series 1 is closed to research for 25 years from date of record creation.

Restrictions on Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Historical or Biographical Note

The George Washington University began in 1821 as The Columbian College. The College's origins can be traced to George Washington, who long argued for the creation of a university within the District of Columbia. In furtherance of that cause, Washington bequeathed 50 shares of The Potomac Company "towards the endowment of a University to be established within the limits of the District of Columbia, under the auspices of the General Government, if that government should incline to extend a fostering hand towards it." Due to congressional inaction, however, Washington's bequest was never utilized.

Aware of Washington's hopes and desirous of fostering education among missionaries and the clergy, a group of ministers and laymen raised funds for the purchase of a site for the College and petitioned Congress for a charter. The Congressional charter was approved by President Monroe on February 9, 1821 and The Columbian College was created. The name of the College was changed in 1873 to Columbian University and in 1904 to The George Washington University.

Since its founding, Columbian College, the University's original college of liberal arts and sciences, has been the cornerstone of the campus community. Its first bachelors degree was awarded in 1824, with the first Master of Arts degree following in 1831. The University awarded its first Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1888, one of the first institutions in the United States to do so.

This note was written in 2005.

Extent

11.5 Linear Feet

Language

English

Abstract

Materials in this collection include academic guides for entering freshmen/students, original charter of Phi Beta Kappa at GW, photographs, committee on publications minutes, correspondence, Hatchet constitution, materials from the curriculum committee relating to the reform of the general education requirements for Columbian College, flags, committee on sponsored research, theses from Columbian College (including 1917 notebook on airplanes and military airplanes). The collections covers the years 1873 to 1993.

Collection Organization

Organized into nine series: Sponsored research, Flags, Academic guide, Theses, Phi Beta Kappa, Curriculum committee, Committee on individual programs, Committee on publications, and Office files.

Acquisition Information

Acquisition data is unknown.
Title
Preliminary Guide to the Columbian College Office of the Dean records 1873-1990
Author
Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2007
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America