Speech and Hearing Department records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include brochures and office files. They range in date from 1950- to 1989. Parts of this collection are unprocessed. Please see Special Collections staff for assistance.
- George Washington University. Dept. of Speech (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Series 1 is closed to research for 25 years from date of record creation.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Since 2002, the department has been known as Speech and Hearing Science. The department is within the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (CCAS), and has two graduate programs; one for those who have an undergraduate degree in speech language pathology and one for those who have an undergraduate degree from another field. In addition, the department has a graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology.
As part of the department, the Speech and Hearing Center provides a full range of speech, language, and hearing services for individuals with communicative disorders. The newest and most innovative techniques, materials, and equipment are used. The Center serves persons of all ages, from infants to senior citizens. Counseling is also provided for the family of the communicatively handicapped individual. Faculty and students are also involved in clinical research projects.
As part of the training and service missions of the department, The George Washington University established its Speech and Hearing Center in 1946, to train graduate students to serve those with communication impairments in the metropolitan Washington D.C. area. Certified speech language pathologists and audiologists (both faculty and staff) provide the many hours of direct graduate student supervision necessary to ensure superb training for our students and quality speech language and hearing services to hundreds of clients per year.
Prior to 2002 the department was known as the Speech and Hearing Department (1983-2002), and from 1968-83 it was part of the Speech and Drama Department. From 1965-68 it was known as the Speech and Hearing Clinic, and before that as the Speech Clinic.
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Materials in this collection include brochures and office files. They range in date from 1950 to 1989.
Organized in two series Departmental records; and Brochures and application.
Materials acquired through transfers from the Speech and Hearing Department.
- Preliminary Guide to the Speech and Hearing Department records, 1950-1989
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English