Faculty Women's Club records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include membership directories, program booklets, meeting minutes, constitution and by-laws, annual reports, scrapbooks (with clippings, invitations, programs, photographs) . They range in date from 1930-92, and were transferred to the University Archives by the President of the Faculty Women's Club.
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
The Faculty Women's Club at The George Washington University grew out of the parent organization the Columbian Women, formed in 1894 and continuing today. All women associated with the University as students or faculty were invited to belong to the Columbian Women. In 1930 the membership numbered 566, of which 82 were faculty or faculty wives. Feeling the need for closer friendship among the faculty wives, especially the newcomers, Mrs. John Donaldson held a series of small teas for getting acquainted. The Faculty Women's Club was formally founded February 21, 1931 at which time the By-Laws were passed and Mrs. John Donaldson was elected President. The club's purpose was to “foster friendliness and sociability among all of the women of the faculty and to cooperate in every possible way in promoting the interests of the University.” Annual dues were set at twenty-five cents and membership was open to the “wife or recognized hostess of any faulty member, including Emeriti professors, and any woman member of the faculty.” In the first year of 1931-32 ninety women joined as charter members, of which fifteen were faculty members.
During the war years the club's activities were curtailed, but in 1950 Mrs. Mitchell Dreese became president and amended the constitution to include as members the University Administrators and certain Research personnel. Extra effort was put into planning interesting programs, and to help newcomers get acquainted, special interest groups were formed which met at members' homes. From 1950-75 membership reached a high of 275 members in 1964 with an average of 210 during the period. After 1975 the membership declined, perhaps attributable to “an increase in female employment” (according to a history written in 1980).
In 1981 the club presented the University a ceremonial mace, to be used as official processions. President Elliott called it a “historic gift” and said that it would become a ceremonial part of the activities of the University. The Faculty Women's Club ceased functions around 1992.
N.B. This history note was written in 2005
3.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Materials in this collection include membership directories, program booklets, meeting minutes, constitution and by-laws, annual reports, scrapbooks (with clippings, invitations, programs, photographs) . They range in date from 1930-1992.
Organized into three series of club records.
Materials were transferred to the University Archives by the President of the Faculty Women’s Club.
- Columbian Women, George Washington University, Washington (D.C.)
- Donaldson, Mrs. John
- Dreese, Mrs. Mitchell
- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Foggy Bottom (Washington, D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Preliminary Guide to the Faculty Women's Club records, 1930-1992
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America