Chemistry Department records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include correspondence, pamphlets and a syllabus. They range in date from 1893-1983, and were transferred to the University Archives by the Chair of the Chemistry Department. The Department of Chemistry website was added to the collection in 2023.
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
Chemistry has been a part of the curriculum at The George Washington University since the beginnings of the University. Located in Corcoran Hall, the Chemistry Department offers Ph.D. and M.S. programs in analytical, inorganic, organic and physical chemistry and materials science. Research fields include: combustion chemistry; polymer chemistry; theoretical chemistry; transition metal complexes; nanostructured materials; and forensic chemistry (in cooperation with the Department of Forensic Sciences). Collaborative research is also conducted with faculty from the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
GWU has had some illustrious professors of chemistry in its history. Charles Munroe (1849-1938), the inventor of smokeless gunpowder, was head of the department from 1892-98. Dr. Munroe was considered one of the world's authorities on explosives, and authored more than 100 books on that subject, as well as chemistry. Dr. Munroe served as president of the American Chemical Society and fellow of the Chemical Society of London. Domestically, he was a consultant to the U.S. Geological Survey and the U.S. Bureau of Mines.
Dr. Charles Naeser taught in the department from 1935-76, and was involved with research on atomic energy (Uranium-Fluoride) in the late 1930's, and knew George Gamow and Edward Teller, theoretical physicists who were on faculty at GWU. During World War II Naeser worked on chemical warfare for the Army Chemical Center in Edgewood, Maryland. Each year, The George Washington University Department of Chemistry puts out a newsletter to staff, faculty and alumni.
0.75 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Materials in this collection include correspondence, pamphlets, a syllabus, and archived versions of Chemistry Department website. They range in date from 1893-1983.
Organized in three series.
Materials were transferred to the University Archives by the Chair of the Chemistry Department.
- Chemistry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chemistry, Analytic Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chemistry, Inorganic Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chemistry, Organic Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chemistry, Physical and theoretical Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Foggy Bottom (Washington, D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- George Washington University. Dept. of Chemistry
- George Washington University. School of Engineering and Applied Science
- George Washington University. School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Materials science Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Munroe, Charles E. (Charles Edward)
- Naeser, Charles
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Preliminary Guide to the Chemistry Department records, 1893-1983
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English