School of Media and Public Affairs records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include departmental files and blueprints for Building YY (814 20th Street, NW). They range in date from 1917-2002. The blueprints were transferred to the University Archives by the Chair of the Department of Communication, while the departmental files were formerly vertical files in the Special Collections Research Center.
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
The Department of Communication at The George Washington University began in 1987, and offered an undergraduate degree in radio and television communications. Before that it was part of the Department of Communication and Theatre, which offered undergraduate degrees in speech communication, theater, and radio-television. Before 1983, it was known as the Department of Speech and Drama.
Now a part of the School of Media and Public Affairs (SMPA), the curriculum focuses on the media and the many important relationships among media, culture, and the various institution of public life, government, education, corporations, and associations.
3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Materials in this collection include departmental files and blueprints for Building YY (814 20th Street, NW). The departmental files include brochures, memorandums, newsletters, flyers, invitations, announcements, photographs, programs, press releases, and posters. They range in date from 1917 to 2002. The materials concern radio programs, television programs, courses, College of General Studies, the Department of Speech and Drama, "GW Underground", WRGW history, drama productions, biographic information, forensics workshops for teachers, speech pathology, audiology, graduate studies, plans for a GW - WETA Communications Center, GW Television Station, courses airing on television, seminars, teleconferences, videoconferences, GW television station services, and High School Discussion Conferences.
Organized in four series: Departmental files, Blueprints, Associate Dean C. Sterling Records on Development of Communication at George Washington University, and reel to reels.
The majority of the records were transferred to the University Archives by the Chair of the Department of Communication.
- Blueprints (reprographic copies) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Communication in politics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Digital media Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Foggy Bottom (Washington, D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- George Washington University. Dept. of Communication
- George Washington University. School of Media and Public Affairs
- Journalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Preliminary Guide to the Communication Department, records, 1917-2002
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America