Gelman Library Acquisitions Department records
Collection Scope and Content
This collection contains memorandums, correspondence, meeting minutes, newsletters, annual report, bibliographies, dedication program, conference agendas, and newspaper clippings. They range in date from 1905 to 1992. The items pertain to purchasing collections, policy, the Washington "Star", donations, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, the Conference of Leaders of Institutes of World Affairs, the Heinzel collection, and the Wachsmuth collection. Materials also include a serials printout work list.
Formerly vertical files
- Gelman Library. Acquisitions Dept. (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Some records may be restricted.
Restrictions on Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
The George Washington University's Melvin Gelman Library opened in 1973. Before the Gelman Library (which received its current name in 1980), the University Library was located in Lisner Hall, formerly Lisner Library. When the University moved to Foggy Bottom in 1912 from its location on 15th and H Streets, N.W., the first library was located in the original Lisner Hall, the former St. Rose's School for Orphaned Girls, between 20th and 21st Streets on G Street. Other libraries include the Virginia Campus Library (established n 1990), and the Mount Vernon Campus Eckles Library (under GW control since 1997). Together, these three libraries form the Gelman Library System (GLS).
The Library is headed by a University Librarian, who oversees: the Assistant University Librarian, Administration, Development, and Personnel; Associate University Librarian for Collections Services; Associate University Librarian for Information Technology; Associate University Librarian for Public Services; Directors of the Mt. Vernon and Virginia Campus libraries, and the Manager of GLS (Gelman Library System) Financial Operations.
The Head of the Acquisitions reports to the Associate University Librarian for Collections Services. This position oversees the operations of the Monographic Order Unit, Periodicals Unit, Serials Unit, Government Documents Unit, Receiving/Finance Unit, and Gifts. Its mission is to procure all the materials for the collections, supporting the GLS mission to meet faculty and students' curricular, research, and informational needs.
N.B. This history note was written in 2005
0.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This series contains memorandums, correspondence, meeting minutes, newsletters, annual report, bibliographies, dedication program, conference agendas, and newspaper clippings. They range in date from 1905 to 1992.
These records were transferred to the University Archives by the Head of the Acquisitions Department
- Acquisitions (Libraries) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collection management (Libraries) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Foggy Bottom (Washington, D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- George Washington University. Library
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Preliminary Guide to the Gelman Library Acquisitions Department records, 1905-1992
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America