Skip to main content
To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.

GW Hatchet records

 Collection
Identifier: RG0114
Materials in this collection include a master set of microfilm of the student newspaper "Hatchet" from 1904 to 1989, photographs of Burton Sapin, Quigley's Pharmacy, Lloyd Elliott, Dr. Dennis O'leary, President and Nancy Reagan and other photos from the 1970 to 1980s. Also included are unbound and bound copies of the 1904-2005 Hatchet, campus posters, 1992-1997, intercollegiate newspaper association, football team entering the Tin Tabernacle in 1939, extra copies of the Hatchet, multiple photographs and negatives from their files. The materials range in date from 1904 to 2008.

Formerly RG#22.2

Dates

  • 1904-2009

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Some records may be restricted.

Restrictions on Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Extent

62.75 Linear Feet

Abstract

The GW Hatchet began in 1904, before that it was called the Weekly Columbian, before that the Columbian Call. The newspaper celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2004. Materials in this collection include a master set of microfilm of the student newspaper "Hatchet" from 1904 to 1989, photographs of Burton Sapin, Quigley's Pharmacy, Lloyd Elliott, Dr. Dennis O'leary, President and Nancy Reagan and other photos from the 1970 to 1980s.

Historical or Biographical Note

The GW Hatchet began in 1904, before that it was called the Weekly Columbian before that the Columbian Call. The newspaper celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2004.

When the idea for a campus newspaper surfaced in 1902, the university was not yet named for the first president, but was still called Columbian University. It was not yet located in Foggy Bottom, but instead occupied a few nondescript buildings at 15th and H Streets, N.W. The student body was not especially united by any great amount of college spirit. But Charles W. Needham, Columbian University's dynamic President, was a visionary with dreams of a new and greater University, and a campus newspaper was a step in the right direction. Realizing that the University needed a publication that would create new student interest and spirit, Jesse W. Barrett, a law student and the son of a Missouri country editor, suggested to President Needham that a university newspaper be founded. With Dr. Needham's encouragement, Barrett formed a partnership with Otho L. Ferris, a fellow law student from Iowa. Mr. Ferris became the publication's business manager, and "The Weekly Columbian" was launched. Two years later, the University's name was changed to The George Washington University and the newspaper took the name, The University Hatchet. The first issue of the "Hatchet" appeared on October 5, 1904, with the editors noting that the present time was a critical period in the life of the University: GW was endeavoring to plant itself in the front rank of educational institutions.

This note was written in 2005.

Collection Organization

Organized into eight series: Office files, Images, Newspapers, Newspapers and posters, Images and awards, Newspapers, Newspapers, and Images.

Acquisition Information

Materials acquired through transfers from GW Hatchet Office.
Title
Guide to the GW Hatchet records, 1904-2007
Author
Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
Date
2007
Language of description
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository

Contact:
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America