Gelman Library University Librarian records
Collection Scope and Content
Materials in this collection include budgets, reports, and working files from the office of the University Librarian. They range in date from 1991 to 2008.
- Majority of material found within 1994 - 2008
Conditions Governing Access
Series 1 is open for research. Series 2 is closed for 50 years from date of record creation.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Historical or Biographical Note
The George Washington University's Melvin Gelman Library opened in 1973. Before the Gelman Library (which received its current name in 1980), the University Library was located in Lisner Hall, formerly Lisner Library. When the University moved to Foggy Bottom in 1912 from its location on 15th and H Streets, N.W., the first library was located in the original Lisner Hall, the former St. Rose's School for Orphaned Girls, between 20th and 21st Streets on G Street. Other libraries include the Virginia Campus Library (established n 1990), and the Mount Vernon Campus Eckles Library (under GW control since 1997). Together, these three libraries form the Gelman Library System (GLS).
The Library is headed by a University Librarian, who oversees: the Assistant University Librarian, Administration, Development, and Personnel; Associate University Librarian for Collections and Scholarly Communication; Associate University Librarian for Information Technology; Associate University Librarian for Public Services; Directors of the Mt. Vernon and Virginia Campus libraries, and the Manager of GLS (Gelman Library System) Financial Operations.
7 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection contains the records of the University Librarian for George Washington University. Materials in this collection include budgets, reports, and working files. They range in date from 1991 to 2008, with the bulk of the material dating between 1994 and 1995.
Organized into two series: Office files and Jack Siggins records [accession 2012.071]
Materials were transferred to the University Archives by the University Librarian.
- Finance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington University
- George Washington University. Library
- Librarians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Melvin Gelman Library Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gelman Library. Office of the University Librarian (Organization)
- Preliminary Guide to the Gelman Library University Librarian records, 1991-2008
- Finding aid prepared by Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America