IBT Rail Conference records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists mainly of items produced by or relating to the predecessor organizations of the Teamsters Rail Conference: the Brotherhood of Locotomove Engineers and the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Teamsters Rail Conference represents more than 70,000 rail employees in the United States who work as locomotive engineers, trainmen and maintenance of way workers on the five major freight railroads, Amtrak and numerous commuter rail systems and short lines. The Conference was formed in early 2004 after the merger of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and added to in late 2004 when the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees also merged with the Teamsters.
2.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection houses IBT Rail Conference records collected by current IBT divisions and its historic predecessors. Materials include magazines, correspondence, newsclippings, notebooks, photos, and various by-laws and agreements related to railroad unions. Materials are dated from 1904 to 2016.
Collection is organized in two series: Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen Division and Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division.
Materials are stored off-site, and will require additional retrieval time. Please contact the Special Collections Research Center for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These materials were transferred from the IBT in 2015.
- Labor unions -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters (Organization)
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (Organization)
- Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees (Organization)
- Guide to the IBT Rail Conference records, 1904-2016
- Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Research Center, The George Washington University Repository
2130 H Street NW
Washington 20052 United States of America