To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.
Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract The C. Darwin Stolzenbach papers consists of correspondence and memoranda, bound and unbound reports, original and photocopied news clippings, documents related to civil action suits pertaining to highway legislation, excerpts from law review magazines, press releases, copies of speeches, minutes and agendas of meetings, original and photocopied Congressional and other legislation, photographs, and maps.
Abstract Collection consists primarily of photocopied multiple-page letter-size documents. The bulk of the collection is memoranda and typewritten notes. These memoranda come from different departments within WMATA and some from outside sources, so both the style and format vary. The collection also has bound reports, oversize magazines and maps, oversize timeline projections, and original newspaper.
Abstract Collection contains correspondence, reports, minutes, publications, newspaper articles, memorandum, bank statements, financial records, maps, and blueprints. The material dates from 1932-2003 with the bulk of the material falling within the dates 1950-87. The majority of the documents focus on city planning and transportation issues. These detail the various highway and rapid transit projects facing the district, as well as looking at zoning regulations and legal procedures and the debates and...
Dates: 1932-1995; Majority of material found within Circa 1970 - Circa 1999
Collection — oversize-folder: UP1
Overview This collection contains materials related to the work of John Nolen as an urban planner in Washington D.C. The materials date from 1906-2000 with the bulk of the material falling between 1935 and 1968. The materials in this collection include official records from organizations such as the Committee of 100 on the Federal City and the National Capital Park and Planning Commission (now the National Planning Commission) for which John Nolen worked as well as material from organizations of which...
Dates: 1906-2000; Majority of material found within 1935 - 1968
Abstract Peter Stebbins Craig was a lawyer in Washington, D.C. who led legal challenges against the construction of interstate highways through the city in the 1960s and 1970s. Taking the side of residents whose homes would be razed for new freeways, Craig successfully battled developers, business leaders, and members of Congress to block seven multilane highways that would have destroyed 200,000 housing units within the city. This collection contains reports and studies, correspondence, legal...
Dates: 1904-1983; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1975
Abstract Collection contains correspondence, greeting cards, index cards, newspaper clippings, speeches, statements, publications, and various types of memorabilia. The bulk of the collection consists of the six scrapbooks constructed by Tobriner between 1961 and 1968. These scrapbooks were taken apart and preservation photocopied, then placed in their original order, along with the different kinds of memorabilia. The materials in this collection range in date from 1949 to 1968, with the bulk of the...
Abstract This collection consists of oral history interviews conducted by Dr. Zachary Schrag. These oral histories relate to the history of the Washington Metro.
Dates: 1975-2002, 2021
Abstract Collection contains correspondence, clippings, transcripts of speeches and Congressional hearings, bound volumes, cassette tapes, and maps that document the history of the development of rapid transit facilities for the Washington metropolitan area. The records date from 1930 to 1984.
Abstract The WMATA Metrorail Specifications collection is comprised primarly of technical specifications and contracts related to the construction of Metrorail. The collection consists of unbound letter-size documents, bound letter-size reports and specifications, oversize reports and specifications, and blueprints.
- Transportation 8
- Washington (D.C.) 8
- Transportation maps 4
- Local transit 3
- Subways 3
- Transportation -- Washington Metropolitan Area 3
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority 3
- City planning 2
- Express highways 2
- Housing 2
- Roads 2
- Urban transportation 2
- Washington Metropolitan Area 2
- Zoning 2
- Bridges 1
- Buildings 1
- City planning -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- City traffic 1
- Civil rights 1
- Discrimination 1
- Education 1
- Federal Triangle (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Height restrictions 1
- Historic preservation 1
- Home rule 1
- Maps 1
- Photographs 1
- Planning 1
- Presidents 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Segregation 1
- Shaw (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Speeches 1
- Three Sisters Bridge (proposed) 1
- United States. Congress 1
- Urban renewal 1
- Urbanization 1
- Washington (D.C.) -- History 1
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Regulation Compact 1 ∧ less
- Committee of 100 on the Federal City (Washington, D.C.) 3
- National Capital Transportation Agency (U.S.) 3
- Craig, Peter Stebbins 2
- Nolen, John 2
- Pfanstiehl, Cody 2
- Stolzenbach, C. Darwin 2
- United States. National Capital Planning Commission 2
- Alley Dwelling Authority (Washington, D.C.) 1
- American City Planning Institute 1
- American Institute of Planners 1
- American Society of Civil Engineers 1
- Delano, Frederic Adrian 1
- Grant, U. S. (Ulysses S.), 1881-1968 1
- Green, Constance McLaughlin 1
- Institute for the Study of Transportation 1
- McGrath, Dorn Charles 1
- Metro 2001, Inc 1
- National Research Council (U.S.). Highway Research Board 1
- Pennsylvania Avenue Development Corporation 1
- Schrag, Zachary M. 1
- Shackleton, Polly 1
- Tobriner, Walter 1
- United States. National Capital Park Commission 1
- United States. National Capital Park and Planning Commission 1
- United States. Post Office Dept.--Buildings--Washington (D.C.) 1
- Washington Housing Association 1 ∧ less