Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Abstract Having outgrown its M Street location, Mount Vernon Seminary moved to a 15.5-acre campus on Nebraska Avenue, NW, in 1917. School founder Elizabeth J. Somers died in 1924, and the Elizabeth Somers Chapel was dedicated on campus in 1925. Adelia Gates Hensley was headmistress until her death in 1923, when Jean Dean Cole became headmistress, a position she held until her death in 1939. It was under Ms. Cole's administration that MVS was divided into the preparatory and Junior College divisions....