Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
M Street was the second location of Mount Vernon Seminary, founded in Washington, D.C. in 1875. The school officially began operating from its M Street location in 1880. Mount Vernon Seminary and College merged with The George Washington University in 1999. This collection contains photographs, artifacts, school event and club records, student scrapbooks and other student materials created during the school's time on M Street. The materials range in date from circa 1877-1939.
Having outgrown its M Street location, Mount Vernon Seminary moved to a 15.5-acre campus on Nebraska Avenue, NW, in 1917. School founder Elizabeth J. Somers died in 1924, and the Elizabeth Somers Chapel was dedicated on campus in 1925. Adelia Gates Hensley was headmistress until her death in 1923, when Jean Dean Cole became headmistress, a position she held until her death in 1939. It was under Ms. Cole's administration that MVS was divided into the preparatory and Junior College divisions....