To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.
Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview This collection contains material amassed by a member of the Bay Area Research Collective (BARC), a radical left-wing publishing collective and distributor active during the 1970s. Included are newspapers and subject files dating from 1969-1986.
Abstract Franz H. Michael (1907-92) was director of The George Washington University's (GW) Institute for Sino-Soviet Studies from 1969 to 1972. A noted expert on Chinese history and Far Eastern affairs, Michael came to GW in 1964 as the associate director of the institute under Kurt London. Collection of correspondence, speeches, and articles. They range in date from 1966 to 1986.
Abstract This collection contains correspondence, foundation proposals, grants, conference reports, articles and papers, research fellows, exchange participants, research assistants. The material relates to the workings of the Reading Room. This material dates from 1962-95.
Abstract This collection contains posters documenting the changing social and political culture in the former Soviet Union and Europe (particularly Eastern Europe) during the collapse of Communism in Eastern Europe and the breakup of the Soviet Union.
Dates: 1980-1990; Majority of material found within 1989 - 1990
Overview This collection contains four OKNA-TASS propaganda cartoons, each consisting of at least two individual posters and separate pieces with dates and captions, that were produced in the Soviet Union between December 1941 and January 1942. The posters are hand painted from stencils created by artists in the Moscow TASS Windows Studio.
Dates: 1941 December-1942 January
Overview Samizdat, from the Russian "sam" ("by oneself") and "izdatel'stvo" ("publishing house,") means "self published" and designates prohibited publications created in secret and distributed via underground networks during the Soviet era. The Peter Reddaway samizdat collection contains original samizdat materials from the USSR, samizdat documents copied for distribution by Radio Free Europe/Radio liberty, correspondence, petitions, news sheets, articles, memoirs, works of prose and poetry,...
Dates: Circa 1950s - 2010
- Subject: Soviet Union X
- Soviet Union 3
- Posters -- 20th century 2
- Underground literature -- Soviet Union 2
- China 1
- Civil rights -- Soviet Union 1
- Communism -- Europe, Eastern 1
- Communism -- Soviet Union 1
- Dissenters -- Soviet Union 1
- Freedom of religion 1
- Human rights 1
- Jews -- Persecutions -- Soviet Union 1
- Jews -- Soviet Union -- Migrations 1
- Labor movement Russia (Federation) 1
- Maury Hall 1
- Nationalism 1
- People with disabilities -- Soviet Union 1
- Political posters 1
- Political prisoners -- Soviet Union -- Biography 1
- Psychiatry -- Soviet Union 1
- RFE/RL 1
- Radicals 1
- Radio Free Europe 1
- Radio Liberty 1
- Radio programs 1
- Refuseniks 1
- Research 1
- Samizdat 1
- Self-determination, National 1
- Soviet Union Emigration and immigration 1
- Speeches 1
- Students for a Democratic Society (U.S.) 1
- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Women -- Soviet Union -- Social conditions 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ less
- English 4
- Russian 2
- George Washington University 1
- George Washington University. Institute for Sino-Soviet Studies 1
- Goebbels, Joseph 1
- Hershberg, James G. 1
- Hitler, Adolf 1