To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.
Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract Citizens for New Columbia was a statehood advocacy group active in the early 1990s that actively supported statehood for D.C. The group was a pro-statehood grass-roots group working to promote citizen participation using civil disobedience and congressional lobbying in advance of the initial House vote. Prominent members of the group included former mayors of Washington D.C. Sharon Pratt and Walter Washington, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, Senator Jesse L. Jackson, and Senator Florence...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1993-1994; 1930, 1982 - 1994
Lessons of the Sixties: A history of local Washington, DC activism for peace and justice from 1960-1975: Personal papers
Overview Lessons of the Sixties is an organization dedicated to documenting the efforts and lessons learned by local DC Metropolitan Area activists, students, organizers and those who dreamed of building a better world through new ideas, political advocacy, local organization building, and other means in the years 1960-1975. Since 2010, the Institute for Policy Studies has served as the organizational home for the Lessons of the 60s providing office space and infrastructural support. Since 2010 the...
Dates: 1937-2016; Majority of material found within 1967-1981
Overview This collection contains handwritten commentaries, typed commentary, published articles from multiple newspapers and personal documents from the career of Mark Plotkin. Plotkin was most well known for his career as a political commentator and analyst primarily on the radio and on TV. These appearances were local and international (CBC-Canadian Broadcasting Company and CTV-Canadian Television Commentary). Plotkin was the political analyst for WAMU, an NPR affiliate, from 1982-2002. After leaving...
Abstract Collection consists of a transcript of the District of Columbia Statehood Constitution Convention ranging in date from February 9, 1982 to May 29, 1982.
- Subject: Statehood (American politics) -- Washington (D.C.) X
- Political activists 2
- Washington (D.C.) 2
- Washington (D.C.) Politics and government 2
- Campaign funds 1
- City council members -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Federal government 1
- Fiscal policy 1
- Governors--United States 1
- Home rule 1
- Journalism 1
- Judicial power 1
- Labor Unions -- Washington Metropolitan Area -- History -- 20th Century 1
- Legislators--United States 1
- Maryland--Politics and government 1
- Mayors--United States 1
- Neighborhoods 1
- New Columbia 1
- Political campaigns 1
- Political conventions 1
- Protest movements 1
- Radio 1
- Schools -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- United States--Politics and government 1
- United States. Congress. House--District of Columbia voting rights 1
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements -- United States 1
- Virginia--Politics and government 1
- Washington (D.C.). Statehood Constitutional Convention (1982) 1
- Women's rights 1 ∧ less
- Citizens for New Columbia 1
- Plotkin, Mark 1
- demczuk, Bernard 1