To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.
Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Overview This collection contains documents mostly government documents collected and used as part of a lawsuit to stop the 11th Street bridges project. These records date from 2003-2009.
Overview The Citizens Committee to Stop It Again (CCSIA) emerged as a group of neighbors and neighborhoods on both sides of the Anacostia River affected by the traffic movements (congestion, etc.) and loss of parkland amenity that would result from the proposed interstate bridge at the Barney Circle. The CCSIA worked with other community groups and the local chapter of the Sierra Club and showed that the freeway would increase congestion of the freeway and street networks while converting scarce urban...
Dates: 1979 - 1996
Abstract The C. Darwin Stolzenbach papers consists of correspondence and memoranda, bound and unbound reports, original and photocopied news clippings, documents related to civil action suits pertaining to highway legislation, excerpts from law review magazines, press releases, copies of speeches, minutes and agendas of meetings, original and photocopied Congressional and other legislation, photographs, and maps.
Overview This collection contains reports, transit studies, meeting agendas, marketing material, maps, memos, tour information, correspondence, photographs and construction drawings related to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. The material dates between 1965-1985. This material about WMATA relates specifically to research about other metropolitan transit systems and the early construction of the Metrorail system.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract Frederick Albert Gutheim (1908-1993) was a city planner, urban historian and architectural critic, and professor at The George Washington University from 1971-79, and director of the University's graduate program in historic preservation from 1976-1979. Collection include correspondence, papers, publications, exams, syllabi, lecture notes, newsletters, and news clippings ranging from 1952-1980.
Abstract This collection contains papers documenting the civic and professional activities of the late Grosvenor Chapman including those as a member of the Committee of 100 on the Federal City and as a local architect. The records date from 1931-1994 with the bulk falling between 1957-1984.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract This collection consists of the office files of Council of the District of Columbia Member John A. Wilson.
Collection — oversize-folder: UP1
Overview This collection contains materials related to the work of John Nolen as an urban planner in Washington D.C. The materials date from 1906-2000 with the bulk of the material falling between 1935 and 1968. The materials in this collection include official records from organizations such as the Committee of 100 on the Federal City and the National Capital Park and Planning Commission (now the National Planning Commission) for which John Nolen worked as well as material from organizations of which...
Dates: 1906-2000; Majority of material found within 1935 - 1968
Abstract This collection consists of oral history interviews conducted by Dr. Zachary Schrag. These oral histories relate to the history of the Washington Metro.
Dates: 1975-2002, 2021
Overview This collection contains photographs, slides, film and a small number of paper records with materials such as press releases, public hearings, planning records, newspaper articles, and memoranda related to the construction of Metro. These records were produced by Larry Levine while employed by WMATA as a staff photographer. These materials cover the years 1944-2003. Additional materials were added to Series 1 that include publications about the Metro, produced by both WMATA and outside sources,...
- Subject: Transportation -- Washington Metropolitan Area X
- Urban transportation 4
- Transportation 3
- Urban renewal 3
- Washington (D.C.) 3
- Architecture -- Washington (D.C.) 2
- Barney Circle (Washington, D.C.) 2
- City planning 2
- City planning -- Washington (D.C.) 2
- Housing 2
- Transportation maps 2
- Urbanization 2
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority 2
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Regulation Compact 2
- AIDS (Disease) 1
- Architecture 1
- Building construction 1
- Buildings -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- City council members -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Express highways 1
- Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Georgetown Waterfront (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Homelessness -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Interstate 66 (Va. and Washington, D.C.) 1
- Local transit 1
- Mount Vernon (Va.: Estate) 1
- Photographs 1
- Washington (D.C.) Politics and government 1
- Whitehurst Freeway (Washington, D.C.) 1 ∧ less
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority 3
- Committee of 100 on the Federal City (Washington, D.C.) 2
- Herman, Christopher 2
- Stolzenbach, C. Darwin 2
- United States. National Capital Planning Commission 2
- Alley Dwelling Authority (Washington, D.C.) 1
- American City Planning Institute 1
- American Institute of Planners 1
- American Society of Civil Engineers 1
- Chapman, Grosvenor 1
- District of Columbia. City Council. 1
- George Washington University 1
- George Washington University. Historic Preservation Program 1
- Gutheim, Frederick Albert 1
- Institute for the Study of Transportation 1
- Kuning, Charles R. 1
- National Capital Transportation Agency (U.S.) 1
- National Research Council (U.S.). Highway Research Board 1
- Nolen, John 1
- Pfanstiehl, Cody 1
- Schrag, Zachary M. 1
- United States. National Capital Park Commission 1
- United States. National Capital Park and Planning Commission 1
- Washington Housing Association 1
- Wilson, John A. 1 ∧ less