To request boxes, please submit the collection, series, and box number(s) via our Contact form.
Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview The Citizens Committee to Stop It Again (CCSIA) emerged as a group of neighbors and neighborhoods on both sides of the Anacostia River affected by the traffic movements (congestion, etc.) and loss of parkland amenity that would result from the proposed interstate bridge at the Barney Circle. The CCSIA worked with other community groups and the local chapter of the Sierra Club and showed that the freeway would increase congestion of the freeway and street networks while converting scarce urban...
Dates: 1979 - 1996
Abstract Collection consists of material gathered and created by the Capitol Hill Restoration Society as a function of their work as an advocacy agency in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. The type of material in the collection includes newsletters, correspondence, photographs, treasurer reports, maps, reports, and studies. This material dates from 1904-2012 with the majority of the material falling within the dates 1958-2012. Topics of interest include Eastern Market, Barney Circle Freeway Modification...
Overview This collection contains the working files of Gordon Murray during his time with the Department of Transportation. These materials date from 1811-1971 with the bulk of the records falling between 1966-1971. The files are composed of correspondence, memos, and briefings all related to aspects of transportation from aeronautics, maritime, commerce transportation, railroad, and urban transportation.
Dates: 1811-1971; Majority of material found within 1966 - 1971
Abstract This collection contains papers documenting the civic and professional activities of the late Grosvenor Chapman including those as a member of the Committee of 100 on the Federal City and as a local architect. The records date from 1931-1994 with the bulk falling between 1957-1984.
Collection — oversize-folder: UP1
Overview This collection contains materials related to the work of John Nolen as an urban planner in Washington D.C. The materials date from 1906-2000 with the bulk of the material falling between 1935 and 1968. The materials in this collection include official records from organizations such as the Committee of 100 on the Federal City and the National Capital Park and Planning Commission (now the National Planning Commission) for which John Nolen worked as well as material from organizations of which...
Dates: 1906-2000; Majority of material found within 1935 - 1968
Abstract Peter Stebbins Craig was a lawyer in Washington, D.C. who led legal challenges against the construction of interstate highways through the city in the 1960s and 1970s. Taking the side of residents whose homes would be razed for new freeways, Craig successfully battled developers, business leaders, and members of Congress to block seven multilane highways that would have destroyed 200,000 housing units within the city. This collection contains reports and studies, correspondence, legal...
Dates: 1904-1983; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1975
Abstract Ralph E. Rechel Papers consist mainly of documents created by him or his colleagues during his years as a transportation analyst and consultant for various public and private organizations. The collection contains assorted memoranda, reports, journals, correspondence, testimonials, news clippings and pamphlets. These range in date from 1947 to 1980.
Overview This collection contains photographs, slides, film and a small number of paper records with materials such as press releases, public hearings, planning records, newspaper articles, and memoranda related to the construction of Metro. These records were produced by Larry Levine while employed by WMATA as a staff photographer. These materials cover the years 1944-2003. Additional materials were added to Series 1 that include publications about the Metro, produced by both WMATA and outside sources,...
- Subject: Urban transportation X
- Express highways 5
- Transportation 5
- Transportation -- Washington Metropolitan Area 4
- Urban renewal 3
- Barney Circle (Washington, D.C.) 2
- City planning -- Washington (D.C.) 2
- Historic preservation 2
- Maps 2
- Zoning 2
- Aeronautics 1
- Architecture 1
- Architecture -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Brazil 1
- Building construction 1
- Capitol Hill (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Citizens' associations 1
- City planning 1
- City traffic 1
- Eastern Market (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Georgetown Waterfront (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Home rule 1
- Housing 1
- Interstate 66 (Va. and Washington, D.C.) 1
- Photographs 1
- Planning 1
- Railroads 1
- Shipping 1
- Subways 1
- Taiwan 1
- United States 1
- Urbanization 1
- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Regulation Compact 1
- Whitehurst Freeway (Washington, D.C.) 1 ∧ less
- Committee of 100 on the Federal City (Washington, D.C.) 3
- United States. National Capital Planning Commission 3
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority 2
- Air Transport Association of America 1
- Alley Dwelling Authority (Washington, D.C.) 1
- American City Planning Institute 1
- American Institute of Planners 1
- American Society of Civil Engineers 1
- Capitol Hill Restoration Society 1
- Chapman, Grosvenor 1
- Craig, Peter Stebbins 1
- Department of Transportation 1
- Herman, Christopher 1
- Murray, Gordon M. 1
- National Research Council (U.S.). Highway Research Board 1
- Nolen, John 1
- Ralph E. Rechel 1
- United States. National Capital Park Commission 1
- United States. National Capital Park and Planning Commission 1
- Washington Housing Association 1 ∧ less